Cleaning Scotchguarded carpets?

I have carpets with Scotchguard. Her indoors is always on about cleaning them. I saw an article today which recommended the VAX (Which - 'best buy'), but it pointed out that it removes the Scotchguard. Is this true and if so what is the pount of it - Scotchguard that is? If it is true, is there a better way of cleaning carpets so 'protected'?

Reply to
Jim S

I have carpets with Scotchguard. Her indoors is always on about cleaning them. I saw an article today which recommended the VAX (Which - 'best buy'), but it pointed out that it removes the Scotchguard. Is this true and if so what is the pount of it - Scotchguard that is? If it is true, is there a better way of cleaning carpets so 'protected'?

Just clean them and re scotchgaurd again

Reply to
Nthkentman

AFAIAC, Scotchguard is useless. We had our cream living room carpet treated with it and when I spilled a glass of red wine on it, the carpet slurped it up with as much enthusiasm as I had been doing a moment before. I can only assume it needs redoing every couple of years. And this was in an area which doesn't get much vacuumed, being between my armchair and the wall.

Reply to
Huge

Was that deffo Scotchguard & not a 'carpet protector'? Big difference.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Get a local NCCA member in to clean them. Scotchguard will survive 2 or

3 cleanings if a suitable detergent is used. You can also have it re applied.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Can't find any comment such as that on "Which?" this is the only article I can find which mentions scotchguard, while talking about carpet care.

(don't be surprised if this gets censored as a blatant site rip.)

Carpets and carpeting Carpet care spilt wine

Blot wine spills with a clean white cloth Protection

Check whether a carpet has been treated with a protective finish, such as Scotchguard, to prevent permanent staining. If not, you can have this done professionally or do it yourself but ask the retailer whether it is necessary.

Cleaning

Vacuuming at least twice a week in rooms you use most often should prevent dirt and grit from matting the fibres. Vacuum new carpets several times to remove loose fibres that have worked their way to the surface. And if you need a new vacuum cleaner, we have reviews of more than 90 currently available models online.

Make sure carpet treatments and stain removers are Woolsafe approved, which means that theyre suitable and effective for wool-rich carpets.

Deal with stains straightaway. Soak liquids with a clean, dry, white absorbent cloth, tissue or piece of kitchen roll. Blot the stain rather than rubbing it, and work from the outside to avoid it spreading. Apply the cleaning agent to the cloth, not the stain, unless a products instructions direct you otherwise.

Give carpets the occasional deep clean, either yourself (with a carpet cleaner) or by a professional accredited by Woolsafe or the National Carpet Cleaners Association.

Cover up

Use doormats to prevent wear by doors these can be made from your own carpet and use furniture coasters to prevent marks from furniture.

Jim S;3085177 Wrote:

Reply to
hewhowalksamongus

Carpets become an essential need of every house, Carpets are a big investment in your indoor environment. When your carpets and other products looks neat and cleaner than your whole house looks more beautiful and attractive.There are many methods of carpets cleaning Like steam cleaning, Vacuum cleaning etc/

Reply to
Gammer0