Automobile - Dirty Carpets

My friend details cars a lot. Recently I learned that on severely stained carpets, he mixes a solution of Oxydol and hot water, then pours the solution onto the floors of the cars. After soaking a bit, he scrubs the carpet then removes the residue with a wet vac. Isn't there a chemical that would do a better job with less labor and be a tad less threatening to the metal on which the carpet is cemented?

Reply to
John Gregory

I probably would not get the carpet soaking wet. Just wet the scrub brush in the cleaning solution. Rinse several times and dry using a table fan for a couple days, or you can put the car in the sun. You can also try one of several upholstry cleaners in a pressurized can that produces a cleaning foam. I use the hand-held power attachment to my carpet shampoo machine. Best bet to get the carpet really clean is to remove it, clean and dry, and reinstall it (I have not heard of carpeting cemented in place, E-gads!)

Reply to
Phisherman