Cleaning rust

I need to clean the rust off trailer lights spade connectors.

They have been exposed to sea water.

Other than vinegar, hydrogen chloride or baking soda, is there a more specific chemical product that works well?

Thanks.

Reply to
asalcedo

Wash clean then use emery paper. Any chemical methods are likely to result in further corrosion since the chloride ions are already present.

Reply to
Martin Brown

However cleaned, don't forget to WD40 them afterwards to virtually prevent any further corrosion (and now and then, remember to give them a top-up squirt).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

IME, WD40 provides no protection against corrosion. You would probably do better to pack them with grease, after tightening up the (electrical) connection.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes. Grease does a much better job of keeping water out of the works.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

No, there's nothing wrong with a good dollop of grease. However (for example):

"Product Specification WD-40 fulfils five basic functions:

  1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
  2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
  3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
  4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
  5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements."
Reply to
Ian Jackson

:

oh ffs is it that time of year again?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Uhuh. It does all of the above. For about five minutes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Use dielectric grease.

Reply to
F Murtz

Well I like the idea of using WD40 after the cleaning because i think its the best thing which helps your metal things prevent from corrosion and I think today's most important problem corrosion. Thanks for sharing the ideas guys, they are also helpful for me and many other. I like this thread.

Reply to
Abner

On Wednesday 29 May 2013 07:49 Abner wrote in uk.d-i-y:

WD40 stands for "Water Displacer". It does many things - for a short time. Use grease - even vaseline would be more use than WD40. It will evaporate in short order leaving a very thin layer which will then come off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Prefer Boeshield T9 myself. Definitely keeps rust ta bay. though a dollop of grease, if an option, is well nigh 100%

Reply to
fred

Apart from freeing rusted up threads. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andrew Gabriel pretended :

Actually, WD40 is not that bad. I use it on the lath to keep the rust at bay and no complaints here. For heavier duty use grease is better, maybe as a coating over WD40.

WD40 is useless as releasing or penetrating agent, which is how many try to use it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

For which PlusGas is much better.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

WD40 is useful for spraying on ants then setting them alight. That's about it, really. At the price per ml, there's no way I'm paying the robbing bastards for it, ever again, and haven't done for years. I make up a mix of ATF or engine oil / kerosene or diesel 50/50 and have it in a couple of hand spray bottles in the workshop. It acts as a penetrant and light duty lube. For protecting connections, I fill them with silicone grease or, at a pinch, veterinary vaseline (which is dirt cheap in a 1kg tub).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Jim K writes

'Fraid so. It's the time of year when people get out things that have been dumped in the back of the tool shed or garage since last October, only to find they have gone rusty - and they say to themselves, "If only I'd given it a quick squirt of WD40."

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not me. I have been told to move the strimmer from behind the settee since last October. The more she mentioned it the more determined I was not to move it.

Reply to
ARW

and it might have stayed rust-free until October.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I take it you have shares in it? You must have a good reason for promoting a product which does nothing particularly well - apart from removing labels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)