Cleaning car windows

Home Bargains sell them for cleaning spectacles.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

Newspaper never did work. It's an old wife's tale.

Clean sponge with warm water and a spot of washing up liquid. Then a proper chamois leather.

Never found a glass cleaner that works. Glass cleaning wipes being the worst.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup, that's what I use.

Reply to
Bod

Dave next time you are in Maplin's, similar stores exist, buy one of their tins of IPA. Find one of the small spray bottles that hold perfume etc and next time you clean your glass give it a try. I find just pouring it onto a cloth is very wasteful as you use far too much.

It's good for cleaning electronics and removing the release agent used on plastic mouldings. I fit labels to new radios and they stick a lot better if the case is cleaned with IPA first.

Reply to
Bill

I tried to get some alcohol wipes a few months ago none of the "high street" stores had them. The wound cleaning wipes they did have weren't alcohol.

Home Bargains, not a store name I'm familar with, who they? How much for how many?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Depends how you define "work". Newspaper was a source of disposable wipes before kitchen rolls came along - and one with nil marginal cost in most households for many years. And I thought the addition of vinegar had some basis in fact where windows have calcium carbonate deposits.

But I also wonder if the difference in modern newsprint matters. I was in the newspaper library at Colindale[1] a few years ago and was reminded how old newsprint (in the days when photos were halftone) usually had a much more "furry" surface (and indeed that that was how it used to come off the machine when I worked at Aylesford Paper Mills one summer).

[1] now closed
Reply to
Robin

I notice the CPC ones I mentioned are now alcohol free!

But these are OK:

Bob Eager

I've got IPA. But why would I use an expensive chemical when water and washing up liquid then a chamois works perfectly for free?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd love to find some glass wipes that worked perfectly for the inside of the screen. But never have.

Lidl ones leave a streaky mess. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I want something that cleans windows perfectly. You'll not find a decent pro window cleaner using newspaper - and never did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's the best stuff to use to clean the INSIDE of the car windows?

Sucker mounts just don't function for me. They fall off and mount the phone/satnav too close to the screen so you struggle to reach it. I use a clip on Brodit brand "A" post mount these days, far better. See it here;

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I used Brodit mounts for years until I got all voice control. Brodit are expensive, but worth it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Because you just said that you had never found a glass cleaner that worked? The guys who installed my double glazing years ago used an IPA spray to give the glass it's final clean.

But now you've found washing up liquid works then no worries.

Reply to
Bill

You're right, Bert, but I was to busy to edit it after I posted it.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Newspaper DID work! The ink contained white spirit which removed oily films/

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Only if followed by polishing with a chamois. I'd like a wipe for use when I haven't got one handy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)