Cleaning a sintered bronze filter

I have a Vax 5150 or several years vintage. It doesn't get used very often, just an occasional bout of carpet cleaning.

The water take-up pipe in the cleaning reservoir has a porous bronze filter, which also acts as a weight to keep the take-up pipe down at the bottom of the reservoir.

By a process of trial and error elimination, I've found that the filter is pretty much clogged up, presumably with a mixture of dust and old dried-in detergent solution.

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking? I've tried three or four changes of boiling water, switch cleaner (which evaporates almost on touch) and a quick immersion in cellulose thinners, all of which have only made a marginal improvement.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Soak in something aggressive like petrol and BLOW the shit BACKwards out of it.

If that don't work, ditch it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A standard quick cleaner would be caustic soda and boiling water. You cant really use HCl here.

If that fails, the most powerful cleaner of all is a long soak in warm bio washing powder - by long I mean days.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , The Wanderer writes

I would try running it through the dish washer, or perhaps the washing machine, on hot. For the latter, perhaps put it in a sock, closing the end with a plastic clippy thing, as used to seal half eaten bags of crisps etc.

Works well with grubby Lego, inside a pillow case :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Good soak and backflow, how much "suck" is there in use? You probably need to match that with the "blow".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You could probably replace it with no fines concrete. The cleaning solutions are alkaline.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Could it be hard water scale? In which case a descaler like Fernox DS3 (or just leave it in a cup of vinegar overnight)

Reply to
John Rumm