Circular saw recommendations

Up to £100.

However at this is only for floorboard lifting then I like the look of

ARW

Make sure it doesn't have a riving knife, or if it does, one you can easily remove/replace.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On your knees plunge cutting with a circular saw is not my idea of fun. Nor is plunging with a jigsaw come to that. Last lot I did I used a router, which left me with a 3mm kerf, but I was able to lose that under the skirting. Nice neat finish for bare boards

Reply to
stuart noble

The chaps in the local Toolstation reckon that most Silverline stuff is crap and they get a lot of returns. Certainly the Silverline router I bought went back unused because it was so shoddy and a Silverline handsaw I was given (new) wouldn't cut butter.

The Evolution products I saw in B&Q a while ago seemed like nice pieces of kit. Screwfix were doing the first two products on this page for =A399.99 / the pair not long ago which seemed like a very good deal:

mike

I seem to remember they use some odd blade size which is rather restrictive - but that needs checking.

Reply to
polygonum

Doesn't say much for a company who sells crap - and knows it.

I've got a couple of Silverline things - a rivet nut tool and a 'helicoil' set. Both are fine, and very good value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Built 3 houses so far

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The 16 mil SWA to supply it must take a bit of handling!

Reply to
PeterC

You really need one with a plunge attachment and retractable riving knife.= I once had to lift a very large area of t&g chipboard flooring which had b= een nailed to the joists through the tongue. Got a Mafell plunge cut saw. P= ricey but did the job and has served faithfully for other jobs since. Came= complete with a roll up guide rail all packed in its own systainer.

Reply to
fred

once had to lift a very large area of t&g chipboard flooring which had been nailed to the joists through the tongue. Got a Mafell plunge cut saw. Pricey but did the job and has served faithfully for other jobs since. Came complete with a roll up guide rail all packed in its own systainer.

Plunge is nice, but by no means essential. Tip a CC up on the front edge of the baseplate, retract the bladeguard by hand, and gently lower to the flat position. Cordless CC's with their left side blade are more suited to this for right-handed users.

The majority of handheld CC's are without a riving knife these days anyway - I think all cordless ones are designed without a riving knife.

Tried the Mafell at a trade show - lovely - but more like £250-300 quid.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski