Ciling tiles

Here's a problem I have never dealt with before, and I'm curious as to what the answer is! Fortunately it isn't a job I've been asked to do but I got to musing about it as I was doing a bit of concreting today (no relationship!).

How do you get polystyrene tiles off a ceiling then?

PoP

PoP

In your case, PoP, very expensively - view it as a revenue opportunity rather than b*astard job that it is :-)

There seems to be two types of adhesive. One is to use wallpaper paste mixed thickly. This isn't too bad to remove by scraping.

The other is a grey gunky stuff which is put on in dabs. This stuff was invented by one of Screwtape's nephews. You can scrape the tiles off, but you'll have this crap stuck in dobs all over the ceiling and it's rock hard. Solutions vary from a belt sander held above the head to ripping it down and replasterboarding......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is going to be messy whichever way you go.

I've done my kitchen, and found a garden push-hoe ideal for ripping them down. They were well stuck, on top of Artex, as it turned out- keyed wonderfully. Knowing what the resulting effect was likely to be, I had already planned to replace them with fibrous ceiling tiles. Having it re-skimmed would probably have been cheaper.

Rubbing down the surface to remove all the loose stuff, and remaining scraps of polystyrene was hard work, a foam abrasive pad was a great help.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I don't actually have the job lined up! I was thinking of my grandparents kitchen ceiling some 40 years ago when this question popped into my head (why? Can I have an easier question? ;)).

I was a small child, and I just remember that these ceiling tiles were all the rage at one time. Just curious about what they were stuck on with, and how one goes about getting them down! I think my curiosity has been answered!

Hmm, just remembered that my wife's parents had (or have) them on their ceilings too.

I guess this question may have arisen from the discussion about DAB radios. I think someone mentioned they had a new radio that was in period style, and my grandparents had one in their kitchen (not the DAB radio you understand - this was 40 years ago!). It's weird how the human brain works sometimes.

I'll go back to sleep now.....

PoP

PoP

Set fire to the house.