Chromium plated copper tube - bendable?

Short question: can you bend chromium plated copper tube or will the plating crack off?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

It will crack.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It's about luck. Some crack, some bend. Try not to go too sharp or too long on the bend. For guaranteed results, you can bend standard pipe and then take it off to be chrome plated.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Buy decent tube and it will bend just fine in a pipe bender...

Reply to
John Rumm

I put some minor (less than a right angle) bends in a couple of chrome pipes recently with a pipe bending spring. It didn't occur to me that the chrome might crack, however it seems all OK.

Good luck!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Yes, so long as the tube was moderately annealed during manufacture. The stuff supplied for bathroom plumbing is usually OK, the straight pipes for gas fitting aren't..

You're more likely to scrape the chrome off than to crack it off. Use an internal bending spring, not an external former.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not so. Chrome pipes for gas fires are bendable.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I've bent a few pieces of 15mm Chromed and been pleasantly surprised to find they didn't crack (as I'd feared they might). In one case I did a 90degree bend (with the pipe bender, not a spring) for the pipe to a shower rose.

Reply to
John Stumbles