Check on bulkhead fitting

Just had to replace the light outside the door as the old one had melted a bit at the back (60W GLS and left on all night by mistake - so much for rating - then heavy rain=bang!

Got a new one from Argos that included an 11W CFL, ES and, amazingly, Megaman (sponsored by E-on). The lampholder is supposed to be at the bottom and the rating is for 11W CFL max(!), but I had to mount the light horizontally as the cable through the wall is a fixed position and so the housing fouled the overhanging lintel.

Seems to me that there shouldn't be a problem with heat with either the lampholder or the glass dome - is that reasonable? Also, I can't see that the IP44 rating is diminished, other than there being only a screw at each end. It's on the weather wall, so gets a bit damp at times.

Reply to
PeterC

Make sure that there is a hole to let water run out of the fitting before it can do any damage. IP44 allows some water spray ingress from any direction. I wouldn't normally recommend IP44 for outdoor use in an exposed position. IP55 or IP65 would be far better.

Reply to
mick

Agreed; thanks. I'm pragmatic about ingress and drainage (on my Sunbeam S8 I couldn't stop oil getting in to the distributor so drilled a hole). The (now upper) long edge has no screws but is shrouded so might be OK. If it's no good, Screwfix has one rated at 100W and IP65.

I fitted IP44 in the new shed - not in pessimism but because they're metal and glass and I prefer that in a wooden shed (OK, pessimism).

Reply to
PeterC