Changing gas & elec suppliers

I'm at the moment with British gas supplying my gas and elec at standard rate. I'm looking around for an alternative cheaper supplier and uSwitch recommended "Atlantic Electric and Gas" which is part of Scotish and Southern energy.

Has anyone had experience of :

1/ changing their supplier 2/ Atlantic Elec' & G?

Regards

Don

Reply to
Donwill

We switched to Atlantic several years ago for both gas and electricity and have had no problems at all. You even get a "loyalty bonus" refund (2 x £20 or so) every year which I don't think the calculator includes.

Reply to
LSR

Apart from taking far longer than it should have there weren't really any problems. I went British Gas & ScottishPower to London-EDF

I've also had far fewer power cuts since going on to French electricity

- not quite sure why since it comes down the same wires.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Have you investigated Equigas and Equipower's rates? I am just in the process of switching from Powergen (gas) and Southern Electric (electricity) to Equigas and Equipower, respectively. So far all has been straightforward.

I also did a switch of gas suppliers several years ago when privatisation started. That too was straightforward.

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

PS to the OP...

They`re also listed on uswitch, but you have to make sure you tick the "include social tariffs" and "include suppliers uswitch can`t swap you to"

PPS: I found it took close to 3 months for everything to get into place when I swapped back in late Feb this year.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

And if you do then have a look at their details, you'll find that Uswitch give dire warnings about how small a company they are and how they've not been around long.

All rubbish, but then Uswitch get nothing if you switch to them. I have switched though!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I couldn`t see that last time I looked (a week or two ago) - i`m wondering if they`ve been forced to remove it :-p

I was trying to show their bitchy comments to a colleague :-}

Incidentally, Southern Electric do all billing, and their bills can be seen in all their simplified glory here for those who want to see how clear they are:

Colin Wilson

They've changed the website quite a lot since I last looked. They're mutedly unenthusiastic, and are clearly trying now in just a low-key way to put people off Equi*.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I found one of the switchers websites was using rates for my provider far worse than I was actually paying. Seems I had signed up for a rate guarantee some years ago.

By researching myself I eventually did get a better deal from Sainsbury's energy + Nectar points.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:39:08 +0100 someone who may be Colin Wilson wrote this:-

I think there were a huge number of people changing supplier at the time, after British Gas took the piss with their 22% price rise. It certainly took longer then usual at the time.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 16 Aug 2006 20:56:29 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

Which does assume that large companies are better than small ones in one or more ways. The riposte to this assertion is, "British Gas".

They have been supplying gas for six or seven years IIRC and electricity for a couple of years less.

Provided one agrees with their view of what they are doing I suspect they are an excellent supplier. Those that don't agree can simply evaluate them on price alone.

Indeed, which is why Ebico made a bit of a fuss in the mass media early this year.

Reply to
David Hansen

Can't see how the size of the co matters. It not like you are paying in advance, nor is it a product you might want to send back if it's faulty.

Reply to
djc

Oh, I agree. Pure scaremongering. They seem to have dropped that now, contenting themselves with subtle hints. They have also arranged it so that only the most precise search criteria show them as an option; I knew they were there, and it still took me several goes!

Reply to
Bob Eager

BG are the devil, I've switched from them twice now (2 properties) and both times they have ended up threatening court action. The first time it was because they took a CC payment without using the account number so the payment went MIA. The second time the refused to take a final reading and insisted on using their estimated final reading (huh?), at least this time I had found energywatch who sorted them out with one letter.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have looked at changing suppliers following the advice from

with a link to
fuel from Equigas and Equipower are predicted to save me £400 (29%). BUT moneyexpert predicts that their prices are due to rise in September. The next best supplier is Atlantic Electric & Gas - Internet Direct No Standing Charge offering a saving of 14%

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:08:40 +0100 someone who may be Richard wrote this:-

That may well be the case, but unless they rise by an incredible amount they will still be worthwhile, even for those who only consider money in their evaluation.

Reply to
David Hansen

What else is there to consider, apart perhaps from level of service when one needs to contact them?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The estimated Sept price rise is 20- 40 % Their last price rise was in Sept 2005.

see

I have found that dual fuel is no longer the cheapest option for me.

Robert Robert

Reply to
robert

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:53:50 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Some people may consider their approach to poorer customers to be important, or promoting the structure of the business.

Very many decisions are not just based on money.

Reply to
David Hansen

That's true, but I don't imagine that all that many people buy energy other than on price.

Reply to
Andy Hall