CH Running costs

I'm looking at replacing the NSH in our newly bought bungalow with either Oil or LPG.

On a like for like basis which will give me the cheapest _running_ costs please.

There's no mains gas where we are so that option is out.

Cheers!

Reply to
Mark Allread

Do you think you'd be able to buy your fuel at the best time of year and/or become part of a bulk delivery co-operative?

ie do your neighbours use mostly oil or LPG?

What's the pikey-nicking-oil thing like your way?

Reply to
Tim Watts

You could get on one of the Renwable Heat Incentive schemes as you are on oil. You get an income from these. Some sort of heat pump for example.

Reply to
harryagain

Neighbours? OK, if you count the ones a mile away on a different road - we are a bit 'rural' out here. They are still on NSH and not inclined to put up with the hassle of having CH installed.

Reply to
Mark Allread

We are not on oil, we are on electric. Oil is an option we are looking at.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I guess it's going to be a straight comparison between kWh/pound on oil vs LPG then.

Any reason you might prefer LPG, eg cooking?

Reply to
Tim Watts

What about a solid fuel boiler?

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Not something I'd thought about.... the last experience I had of them was they were a bit of a nuisance in that they were forever having to be topped up and a lot of space was needed to store the fuel.

I think I may have another look now you have mentioned it.

Ta for the thought

Reply to
Mark Allread

I'm told that the induction hob must on no account be replaced so it is just heating and water.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Where I live most people use oil, which makes me think that it is probably the cheapest, as I am to lazy to look up the calorific values and market prices.

In general I see very few LPG installations.

Some sort of heat pump might work out cheaper in terms of running cost, but I don't think the output temperature is as hot as you would get from and oil or gas boiler. I think the equipment takes up quite a bit of space.

Reply to
Michael Chare

If I remember right, with LPG you are stuck with one supplier. No-one else is allowed to fill the tank they supplied. Any change of supplier requires change of tank as well. (Might have changed - but fairly sure that used to be the case.)

Reply to
polygonum

That is interesting...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It used to be the case.

But it seems that nowadays you can change supplier, and ownership of the tank is transferred to the new supplier.

Of course it's not as easy as just getting the best price when you refill your oil tank.

Reply to
Chris French

Thank you. Interesting.

Reply to
polygonum

If you go for oil, certainly join a syndicate. I run our local one, and today I managed to get a price at least 4 ppl less than the locally quoted prices for an individual delivery. An order for 52,000 litres helps, of course. There are three orders each year.

If there is no local syndicate, start one.

Reply to
Davey