OT firefox and Chrome and/or KIS2015 uploading megabytes somewhere ??

Hi all,

BT have finally chopped free newsgroup access so I am forced to use gmail f or now - no insults please :-).

I upgraded kaspersky to KIS2015 at the start of january (it's free if you b ank with Barclays). I think I also updated firefox at the same time. Anyhow , ever since, my network traffic (as shown by Networkx) has increased very noticibly and curiously it is because of a masive increase in uploads.

All I do is log into BT via thunderbird once a day to get my emails, then I log off and leave the PC on all day usually on the Telegraph homepage.

During one hourly period I downloaded 18 Mbytes but uploaded 43 Mbytes. Loo king back at the Networkx hourly stats, up to about jan 4th I uploaded betw een 44Kb and 1.5Mb every day, i.e about a tenth of my download total. Since then the upload figure regularly exceeds the download total for the day !! . If I go anywhere near Google earth I am going to blow my BT Option 1 limi t in no time. Before I could use it several times a month and still not hit my limit.

I have turned off the firefox telemetry option and done the same with Kaspe rsky 2015 (Internet Security).

Has anyone else upgraded to KIS 2015 and noticed this ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

for now - no insults please :-).

bank with Barclays). I think I also updated firefox at the same time. Anyh ow, ever since, my network traffic (as shown by Networkx) has increased ver y noticibly and curiously it is because of a masive increase in uploads.

I log off and leave the PC on all day usually on the Telegraph homepage.

ooking back at the Networkx hourly stats, up to about jan 4th I uploaded be tween 44Kb and 1.5Mb every day, i.e about a tenth of my download total. Sin ce then the upload figure regularly exceeds the download total for the day !!. If I go anywhere near Google earth I am going to blow my BT Option 1 li mit in no time. Before I could use it several times a month and still not h it my limit.

persky 2015 (Internet Security).

UPDATE:

I think it is Firefox V35 that is the culprit. I have studied the hourly an d application data collected by Networkx and between 4PM and 8PM, Firefox u ploads large amounts of data from my PC to god knows where. Sometimes I dow nload 5 Mbytes in and hour but Firefox uploads 20 Mbytes in the same hour ? ?!!.

This is bad news for anyone on BT Option 1 because, whereas before, I rarel y got anything like close to my monthly allowance, now I am hitting it in n o time.

Andrew

Reply to
uk.skydata

Do you use Firefox sync? though I wouldn't have thought it uploads large amounts of data.

Years since I was on a limited package.

Reply to
Chris French

And turned off Health Report, Crash Reporter, Firefox Sync if any of those are enabled?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you tried changing your homepage to something more innocuous like wikipedia ?

Reply to
Johny B Good

l for now - no insults please :-).

u bank with Barclays). I think I also updated firefox at the same time. Any how, ever since, my network traffic (as shown by Networkx) has increased ve ry noticibly and curiously it is because of a masive increase in uploads.

n I log off and leave the PC on all day usually on the Telegraph homepage.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have now tried Chrome and that displays similar behaviour. All the possib le options that might send data back to Firefox or Google are off.

Even windows svchost.exe has uploaded 21 Mbytes since Monday. Baffling.

Maybe its something to do with HTML5 which I believe is the fancy new way f or a browser to operate. Or perhaps the browser suppliers are in cahoots wi th advertisers to monitor where you move the cursor around every page.

I have tried leaving it unattended for an hour, between 4PM and 5PM, just s itting on one page of something and that clocked up 20 Mbytes download and

10 Mbytes upload. Downloaded adverts I would expect but not uploads. Leavi ng my PC unattended for an hour on thunderbird, showing emails generates ma ssively less downloads and uploads.

Older versions of Firefox didn't do this.

Reply to
uk.skydata

Presumably from that you're running WIn7 or newer and used Resource monitor to see that? svchost is a container for all services, so clocking up 21MB in a couple of days isn't much of a concern, could just be the acknowledgement traffic from downloaded a few hundred MB of updates.

So fire-up resource monitor, go to the network tab, expand the processes with network activity header section if necessary, select the tickbox next to the image firefox.exe

then expand the network activity section, which will now be filtered to just be firefox activity, sort the "sent bytes" column so largest is at the top and see where firefox is sending all this stuff ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

what if you leave it open with no pages open?

Reply to
Chris French

I have Win7 and am using FF v. 35.0.1 as well as Kaspersky Pure 3

13.0.2.558 (plus a load of other stuff inc. T'bird). Internet activity is monitored with Networx. The two largest users are FF and AVP.exe, about 45% each in total (UL+DL). FF activity is mostly browsing etc. AVP is part of Kaspersky, AIUI, and it downloads a lot (AV updates?), but also uploads quite a lot. What's your doing, assuming you have it? There seems to be some discussion as to what AVP does and whether it can be infected with some form of malware that Kaspersky doesn't, detect, see
and subsequent pages.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Also check your add-ons.