Chrome plating and Calcium Remover

I let the calcium-encrusted chrome plated hardware from my 1940-vintage tub soak in a solution called "Calcium Lime & Rust Stain Remover". Most of the calcium came off in a matter of 30 minutes or so, and there was no other damage, so I decided to let it soak for a few hours to get really clean.

Unfortunately, when I came back, the chrome was discolored to a light copper tint.

The active ingredients in this solution are hydrochloric acid and sulfamic acid. Does anyone know how to get the chrome back to its original color?

Thanks

Reply to
Andrew Taylor

Rechrome it , It sounds like it ate it away

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Andrew Taylor

HCl acid permanently stains chromium ("chrome" plating, stainless steel). Prognosis negative.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
John

Agree, the chrome is likely gone, and the nickel remains. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Find a good plating shop. They will strip off the chrome (acid bath) and replate. It's not expensive.

RB

Andrew Taylor wrote:

Reply to
RB

Reply to
Andrew Taylor

soaking in vinegar and a little scraping with something wood or otherwise softer than the chrome so you dont scratch it, will usually take care of minerals, and i havent had it hurt any of my chrome...

randy

Reply to
xrongor