drill bit?

I need to clean the lime and calcium deposits from the grooves of my accordian hurrican shutters where the wheels and screws attach the slats together. do they make a drill bit with metal bristles around it that I can use for this? Thanks

Reply to
Ralph222

If I understand what you mean: Sort of ... what you want I think is a Dremel tool bit. A fast power drill will probably work with it, but if you can afford a Dremel tool, it'll be better. Most HW stores carry them; fairly common dremel bit.

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Go to a gun dealer and look at his barrel cleaning brushes. They're usually brass bristles that you might be able to chuck in a low speed drill.

RB

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
RB

R > I need to clean the lime and calcium deposits from the grooves of my R > accordian hurrican shutters where the wheels and screws attach the slats R > together. do they make a drill bit with metal bristles around it that I R > can use for this?

Sure: go to just about any hardware store and you should find metal brushes which are what you are looking for. I'm thinking this isn't the way you want to go, however. These tools are generally for scraping down to the bare metal. You could try something like CLR (also available at the hardware store, or the Marts: K-Mart, WalMart, etc.); didn't "work as advertised" here (different type of build-up?)

Here are some extracts from messages I save for reference:

I've had great results soaking the wick in a weak solution of muriatic acid and Castrol SuperClean for about 24 hours then rinsing with fresh water.

TS>Does anyone know how to get lime buildups off sinks, showers and >toilets?

TS>Lime can also build up in shower heads and restrict the flow of water.

I 'member moving into an apartment once, years ago, and the whole bottom of the bathtub was coated with lime. It was ... disgusting . My mother turned 'round on her heels, went across the street to the store, and came back with a very large bottle of Lime Away. In no time at all, and with just a teensy bit of brushing the really stuck bits, the bathtub was nearly as bright and shiny as when it was brand new.

-> Does anyone know how to get lime buildups off sinks, showers and

-> toilets?

Let them soak with some vinegar.

TS|I wish that would work here. We have used many bottles of Lime Away and |the only thing we have found to get it off is scrape it off with a |razor blade, then it is back in a very short time. No place has as

Just a thought, but have you tried citric acid? We used to live in one of those "mineral rich" areas and I began using the citric acid powder to clean the dishwasher.

If you haven't tried it, you should be able to get it at a plumbers' supply, bldg supply, paint store or drugstore. Let your fingers do the walking and, if you're unable to locate a source - ask a dishwasher repairman/person.

have you attempted using a 3 or 4 dollar bottle of "Pure Citrus" cleaner in the spray bottle?

spary it on, scrub if heavy deposits, let it sit and penetrate, rinse off

repeat for heavier deposits

no chemicals

works great on hard water soap scum buildup

CLR is a joke and so is LimeAway, as are the majority of chemicals sold to help humans

I have a glass shower enclosure. I tried everything to get the calcium build up off of the glass. Finally I found SIMPLE GREEN lime scale remover. You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $5.00. It works! Also "ZAP" works wonders on getting your shower tile back to it's original beauty. DO NOT use these two products at the same time, open a window and wear gloves when using the Zap.

  • It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.
Reply to
barry martin