CH Pipes. Paint of not

I am interested to know what everyone else does about exposed central heating pipes. Do you paint them to match the adjacent woodwork or walls or leave them copper and allow them to gradually tarnish?

Reply to
Andrew May

Mostly, I paint them. In a few cases, I've got some white plastic clip-on covers which just have to be cut to length and snapped over the pipes - but they tend to discolour after a while.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Whatever tickles your fancy :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Never used those but I'm thinking more about exposed pipe runs rather than radiator tails. It is a solid floor so all pipes come down from the ceiling above rather than up from the floor below.

Reply to
Andrew May

Polish and lacquer them?

(A friend did that with all the DIY pipework round his boiler because he was so proud of it.)

Reply to
Huge

Ah, yes - I was thinking of radiator pipes coming out of the floor.

However, I have got some pipes coming down the wall because I, too, have solid floors downstairs. Mine are mostly in corners - where they're boxed in and painted or papered over - or in cupboards where they don't show at all. I haven't got *any* vertical pipes which are visible. In one case, the pipes come down in a cupboard and then run along the skirting board to the radiator. The horizontal bits of these are painted.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That'd look good if they were feeding the old style steam radiators i.e steam punk the heating system... a few pressure gauges, industrial valves etc, all polished like the engine room of a vintage boat.

in this house the pipes are painted... with the same stuff that went on the walls to give it that sharp bobbely feel, not sure it's genuine artex, i'm sure it's just grains of sand mixed with the paint, as i leave a few layers of skin on the walls every time i brush against them,

sandpaper effect i call it, and every bloody pipe to the radiators has it slapped on it, still, i guess it helps it blend in.

Reply to
Gazz

...and knife switches for the electrics.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Paint, every time.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I spray them with 'chrome' paint. Which looks rather like brushed stainless steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sink them into the wall.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

[blush] It's the towel rail in my main bathroom.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Does anyone have problems removing nuts after the pipes have been painted? I even saw an isolating valve painted the other day!

Reply to
Fred