Fridge-freezer thermostat replacement; shortening the sensor wire

I bought a generic thermostat to replace the faulty one in my Bosch Classixx fridge freezer. The thermostat looks almost the same as the old one, except that the stiff sensor wire is much longer. Can I shorten sensor wire with a wire-citter so that it is the same length as the old one?
Many thanks,
Al
On 28/06/2012 13:39, AL_n wrote:

No.

OK - thanks. So is it OK to use it if the sensor wire is about a foot longer than the original one? How do I lose the excess - coil it up, near the thermostat and tuck the coil somewhere inside the thermostat cover?
Or do I keep pushing the extra long one into the sensor channel, and hope it doesn't meet with a dead-end before it is fully inserted? If so, I will buy another replacement stat - because I already clipped the wire to length, unfortunately.
Al
Its not exactly wire... erm, oh dear clipped it.... Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"AL_n" < snipped-for-privacy@fghfghfg.com> wrote in message

Absolutely not. It's a pipe containing liquid under pressure, not a wire.
Just coil up the excess out of the way.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 33rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg their

Ghaa! What a blunder! Anyway, thanks for the input; I've ordered a 2nd replacement...
Al

Plus, do not kink it.

Thanks.. Al

Nobody has ever thanked me here before. I'm dead chuffed :-)

Seems like normal courtesy to me. :) Unfortunately, I installed the new thermostat and it doesn't seem to work at all. I am sure I connected it up correctly. Maybe I got a duff one. Is that likely? Is it easy to test them using a multi-meter?
Al