centronic to usb cables

Im curious after reading the thread on Laser printers I have an old HP laserjet5 that only has a parallel connection and a laptop that only has USB I have seen parallel centronic to usb cables has anyone used one of these with Linux are they plug and play, ;) Some come with a Windows disk but i dont really want to mess about with wine or a virtual windoz OS.

Reply to
DJT

I've got a couple of HP usb->parallel cables, I'd be very surprised if Linux didn't "just work" with them, if I can find one, I'll let you know.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A basic print server box might be simpler. Then you can treat the printer like a network printer.

e.g:

adds some extra buffering to older slower printers...

Reply to
John Rumm

They can be, but that seems to depend on what chip is in the lead they are only £2 so its worth the risk unless anyone can say which brand x sold by xy works out of the box. if not you can check if its recognised the lead in terminal ?lsusb? then you will have to manually select the HP driver in cups, then change the device URI to ?" parallel:/dev/usb/lp0 ? in the printing/properties dialog box, do not do a test print until you have rebooted cups. looking on Amazon feedback it seems that 50% of windows users cant get them working...

-
Reply to
Mark

That would be a good idea but this is for our Cornwall bolt-hole which does not have router Internet or even a land line we use a local wireless hotspot its just that a printer can be handy we did have a usb inkjet but as pr the other thread it clogs up if you dont use it, and as another poster said the adaptors are cheep cheap. thanks

Reply to
DJT

if you do find it and it works could you let me know where you got it thanks

Reply to
DJT

None of which really have any bearing on matters...

plug server into the printer, and network lead into the sever, other end into the laptop.

You can get wireless print servers as well if you want, then you can connect to it without any cables.

Reply to
John Rumm