central heating radiators placement

hi all i getting a new central heating put in...where is the best plac

for the radiators....i read and saw its always mostly under the window or coldest place in the room is best..i have wooden floors and th installer said it may be best idea without taken to much floor up t put on walls away from windows..which seems like a good idea...i no wondering...is this okay..and will i get the same beneifit fro radiators...heat wise....as my floors are click and it may take longe to put back but i wouldnt mind as i may as well get it done right th first time..i have double glazed all round house...so what you peopl think..

Thanks for any help..

-- fallenhero

Reply to
fallenhero

| | hi all i getting a new central heating put in...where is the best place | for the radiators....i read and saw its always mostly under the windows | or coldest place in the room is best..i have wooden floors and the | installer said it may be best idea without taken to much floor up to | put on walls away from windows..which seems like a good idea...i now | wondering...is this okay..and will i get the same beneifit from | radiators...heat wise....as my floors are click and it may take longer | to put back but i wouldnt mind as i may as well get it done right the | first time..i have double glazed all round house...so what you people | think..

Even with double glazing, with rubber seals round the windows, the coldest place in a room is normally under the windows. This is not as bad as it was when windows were single glazed, and draughty as hell.

IMO with double glazed windows, I would still go for under the windows, if I could afford it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes. Also north facing outside walls and corners. If you have got any damp condensation areas on walls, that's an indication of a very good place. Immediately under windows can waste heat up the back of the curtains unless they are recessed into the window enclosure or there's a shelf above the radiator with the curtains stopping short above it.

That's the easiest for him and minimum disruption. It's not the best from a thermal point of view.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have them put where it makes sense to *you* from the point of view of furniture placement etc. This will often - though not always - be under windows.

Don't forget that your installer is probably influenced by sloth - in other words he would like to steer you into a solution which involves the least effort for *him*!

Reply to
Set Square

fallenhero used his keyboard to write :

The idea is that cold air will circulate down from the coolest wall of a room, below the window. To counteract this down draft, the best place for a radiator is below the window. As others have suggested, make sure the curtain does not funnel the rising heat.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If she wants full length curtains, do not put rads under windows. Bear in mind that rads are now available in full room height versions, so wall space is not blocked by wide radiators.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol