Central heating pump burnt out - can I replace the electrical bit only?

So, old SMC Comet 2-130 pump stopped working. The "motor" part was still getting hot, and still getting 250v to it.

Took the front part off, and it seems like the motor is divided into ... er, ...guessing here - an induction bit (the flat plate you can see) and I'm guessing the impeller is the actual armature(?) of the motor. The impeller works fine. Except it is SOLIDLY welded to its pump nuts and in any case would be a total bitch to get to, to remove. Looking at this pump, which I believe is quite old, and bearing in mind the trip to the plumbers merchant is a little way and I only want to make the trip once...

I bought a new pump, would I just be able to take it apart and clamp the new induction bit onto the old impeller part?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Jonathan

maybe if the new one really is identical, but if its an old pump the odds are against that. All you could do is get same model and try, if not you'll just have to replace the whole item.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sadly not. Modern pumps have a different design where the rotor runs back through the cylindrical body of the pump and is surrounded by the induction coils (which are on the dry side of the water barrier, natch). I guess they just couldn't get the sort of power produced by modern pumps out of the design with the stainless-steel diaphragm.

Reply to
John Stumbles

ebay might be worth a shot to get the same model, an old one that works. Maybe, if very lucky. Doubtful tho.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Nov 30, 9:56 pm, "Jonathan" wrote: ...

...if I bought a new pump, would I just be able to take it apart and clamp

Daft idea, imho. Old pump, worn bearings, worn impeller, dubious interchangeability, invalidate the guarantee on the new pump.

Just change it.

Reply to
Aidan

The worst case is a (partial?) drain down and remove the pump complete with the isolators.

Reply to
Ed Sirett