Central heating problem with Honeywell valve

Hi all,

I have a standard y-plan gas heating/hot water system. The hot water works fine, but for the last six months or so whenever I switch on the central heating it works for around ten seconds and then cuts out, with quite a loud "clunk" seemingly eminating from the Honeywell V4073a mid-position valve. After another ten seconds or so, the boiler reignites and the same thing happens again, and so on...

I've discovered that if I slide the slider on the Honeywell valve to the "Open" position, then the heating works OK. But I noticed on the pdf data sheet for the valve

"Continuous operation of the valve motor at the fully Open position is not recommended".

So my questions are these:

  1. What is most likely to be causing the problem?
  2. Is it safe/sensible to leave the valve in the Open position until this is fixed?

I'd be hugely grateful for any help.

Duncan Clark

Reply to
Duncan

that "Continuous operation of the valve motor at the fully Open

It sounds as if the actuator (the electrical bit, or "power head") has become deranged. This can fairly easily be replaced without affecting the wet bit of the valve.

The valve has 3 positions - HW-only (un-powered/spring return position), CH-only (powered - fully open) and HW+CH (powered - mid-position). Operating the manual lever moves the valve to the mid-position - *not* to the fully open position. I've no idea what the sheet means about not running continuously at the fully open position. In very cold weather, but with the HW demand satisfied, the valve may *need* to be at the CH-only position for relatively long periods - and has to be able to cope with it. [The motor is running stalled - but that's what it's *designed* to do!]

There's no reason why you can't run it in the manual position in the short term (like a few days). BUT be aware that, in this position, you'll get CH

*and* HW - even if the HW demand is satisfied. The HW will potentially get *too* hot, and you may have to turn the boiler stat down a bit - and not have the radiators quite as hot as usual - in order to prevent this.
Reply to
Set Square

That's brilliant. I'll get the powerhead replaced.

Thanks a lot!

Duncan

Set Square wrote:

Reply to