Measuring fall on drive

Am getting some quotes in for having our drive done; so far one guy says I have enough fall not to need any surface drainage, the other says the opposite. I would therefore like to be able to measure the current difference in height between my front doorstep and the drive entrance, so I can decide for myself who's correct!

How best to do this? Distance is about 12m; surface currently very irregular with much pooling of water.

Would a water level made from a hosepipe with a translucent tubes in either end (not sure where I'd find those??) work? Or is there a laser type device I could hire? (this would be a one-off use so don't want to buy expensive kit).

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, that would work fine. Transparent tubes - whatever you have. Turkey basters?

C'mon - perfect opportunity to buy a laser level! Could you have a better excuse??

Reply to
Grunff

Most hardware stores/DIY sheds sell clear plastic tubing of various diameters.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Run a string line out from the house to the top of the drive. Either (if possible) align the string with courses on the side of the house, or just hold a level under the line and adjust the line untill level.

But a =A310 laser level may be easier

dg

Reply to
dg

How about this for a low-tech solution?

I would just use a builder's spirit level. Support it on blocks or somesuch at the low end so that it reads level, and adjust the height of the blocks so that, when you look along the level, it lines up with the high end. The height of the blocks then represents the difference in levels.

If the difference in levels is small - causing too much grovelling - mount it higher, and get an assistant to hold a vertical scale at the top of the drive, and see where on the scale the level points to - and then subtract one from the other (a sort of poor man's theodolite!).

Reply to
Set Square

Argos (and others) do a lazer level for 20 quid, they are reasonably accurate if used with care.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Actually a sprit level in a pole and another pole and a bit of measuring tape. or even pacing it out is good enough

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt it. The lasers are invisible n daylight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The red dots can be found in all but the strongest sunlight, allougth an overcast day or dusk is easier.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Don't talk out of your ass!

They are perfectly usable pieces of kit and very accurate.

Reply to
YTC449

IME, cheap laser levels are not that good over 10-20M distances if the fall is small. Better results normally come with either water levels or a good spirit level used say 30 times in sequence to span the distance. Laser levels are excellent for establishing intermediate level pegs, once the ends are defined. I'd hope that self setting pendulum laser levels would give better results, but these are around £50+ AIUI. Never found a problem with a laser spot if you shade the landing point from direct sunlight.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Yes thats the way to do it. Suprisingly accurate - more so if you reverse the level and do it again and average the results.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

If youve got a decent spirit level then you can just use that on top o

a long straight piece of timber say 3m long , if your drive is 12m the you'll only need to do it four times to cover the distance. Start b setting up some bricks at a hieght of perhaps 12 inches then transfe that level to another pile then repeat until you get to the end th drive. If your "pile" is then say 16 inches above the ground youve go a fall of 4 inches. This is plenty accurate enough for this kind o work

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Not over any distance. Tried hiring one. Could not see the spot even on a dull day at 30meters.

Spent hours trying gave up and hired a theodolite instead.

they are fine as inside toys over 10 meters or so, but thats it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher