Measuring fall on drive

Am getting some quotes in for having our drive done; so far one guy says I have enough fall not to need any surface drainage, the other says the opposite. I would therefore like to be able to measure the current difference in height between my front doorstep and the drive entrance, so I can decide for myself who's correct!
How best to do this? Distance is about 12m; surface currently very irregular with much pooling of water.
Would a water level made from a hosepipe with a translucent tubes in either end (not sure where I'd find those??) work? Or is there a laser type device I could hire? (this would be a one-off use so don't want to buy expensive kit).
Thanks David
Lobster wrote:

Yes, that would work fine. Transparent tubes - whatever you have. Turkey basters?

C'mon - perfect opportunity to buy a laser level! Could you have a better excuse??
<http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id8178&ts 489>
--
Grunff

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:38:55 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Actually a sprit level in a pole and another pole and a bit of measuring tape. or even pacing it out is good enough

Most hardware stores/DIY sheds sell clear plastic tubing of various diameters.
Henry
Run a string line out from the house to the top of the drive. Either (if possible) align the string with courses on the side of the house, or just hold a level under the line and adjust the line untill level.
But a 10 laser level may be easier
dg
On 6 Nov 2005 05:08:03 -0800, dg wrote:

I doubt it. The lasers are invisible n daylight.

The red dots can be found in all but the strongest sunlight, allougth an overcast day or dusk is easier.
Rick

Don't talk out of your ass!
They are perfectly usable pieces of kit and very accurate.
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 20:05:39 -0000, YTC449 wrote:

Not over any distance. Tried hiring one. Could not see the spot even on a dull day at 30meters.
Spent hours trying gave up and hired a theodolite instead.
they are fine as inside toys over 10 meters or so, but thats it.

How about this for a low-tech solution?
I would just use a builder's spirit level. Support it on blocks or somesuch at the low end so that it reads level, and adjust the height of the blocks so that, when you look along the level, it lines up with the high end. The height of the blocks then represents the difference in levels.
If the difference in levels is small - causing too much grovelling - mount it higher, and get an assistant to hold a vertical scale at the top of the drive, and see where on the scale the level points to - and then subtract one from the other (a sort of poor man's theodolite!).
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

Yes thats the way to do it. Suprisingly accurate - more so if you reverse the level and do it again and average the results.
cheers
Jacob
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:14:53 GMT, Lobster

Argos (and others) do a lazer level for 20 quid, they are reasonably accurate if used with care.
Rick
Rick wrote:

    IME, cheap laser levels are not that good over 10-20M distances if the fall is small. Better results normally come with either water levels or a good spirit level used say 30 times in sequence to span the distance. Laser levels are excellent for establishing intermediate level pegs, once the ends are defined. I'd hope that self setting pendulum laser levels would give better results, but these are around 50+ AIUI. Never found a problem with a laser spot if you shade the landing point from direct sunlight.
    Regards     Capitol
If youve got a decent spirit level then you can just use that on top o
a long straight piece of timber say 3m long , if your drive is 12m the you'll only need to do it four times to cover the distance. Start b setting up some bricks at a hieght of perhaps 12 inches then transfe that level to another pile then repeat until you get to the end th drive. If your "pile" is then say 16 inches above the ground youve go a fall of 4 inches. This is plenty accurate enough for this kind o work
-- Nick H