central heating pipe insulation

A though strikes me as I currently have all the boards up in the ground floor: I ought to take the opportunity to lag the heating pipes.
Take it this is pretty much a no-brainer decision? Wickes economy stuff as good as any for this purpose? Think its about 2 for 5m.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

as
Yes. Get the thick stuff and tape together the joins.

This would be a good plan. If your air bricks and other ventilation are working properly, the space underneath the floor boards can get quite cold. Some years ago, in a house that was similar to how yours sounds, I did some measurements one windy winter's night near a front wall and it was only a few degrees. I insulated the pipes not so much for heat loss issues but a possible risk of freezing.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I've got some sketchy figures on emissions vs. insulation thickness: 15mm pipe - zero: 47W/m, 9mm: 14W/m, 25mm, 2.5W/m 22mm pipe - zero: 64W/m, 9mm: 19W/m So on 100m of pipe lose 4.7kW by not insulating, 1.4kW with 9mm and only 250W with 25mm insulation. 13mm would sound like a good cost/saving compromise.
--
fred

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:46:36 +0000, RichardS wrote:

I think you'll find that cable ties (very cheap from screwfix) are excellant at holding short peices in position. Sparky tape tends to embrittle the stuff after a while.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

as
If the insulation want to spring out, securing it with plastic cable ties in time will cut a ring in the insulation. Best use tape with ties over.