central heating combi boiler

hi there i have just purchased a central heating kit from Band Q th

usual 7 radiators plus combi boiler valves flue etc . on the boiler it has the gas inlet at 15 mm, i have been told by a la man that it has to be 22 mm to feed the gas i am not doing the gas sid of things but was wondering if this is true to have 22mm does this hav to go all the way back to the meter . any info would be appreciate

-- pickled_magpie

Reply to
pickled_magpie

Your fitter will know how to pipe size

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

The rule of thumb is 22mm pipe to within 1 metre of the combi, then use 15mm to connect up. This is purported to be a practical rule of thumb for the average combi. If you have a really powerful model I expect you might need to go to 28mm. It also depends on the length of gas pipe you are running, there is more to the rule-of-thumb than I have mentioned, in that you can only have up to a certain length of 22mm, and you have to take into account any right-angle copper fittings as subtracting a certain amount from the max allowed length etc. Can't remember what the specifics are, you'll have to google for it or look in the u.k.d-i-y archives. I can tell you my 28kW boiler is fed by 22mm pipe to within a metre of the inlet, that the 22mm pipe is about 20 feet long with 2 right angle joints ( gentle curves don't count ) and ISTR that that was within the allowed rule, and the pressure at the boiler measured OK when operational, so that was a good reality check. DYOR.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Chapter and verse here:-

long with 2 right angle joints ( gentle curves don't count ) and ISTR that Depends on whay you mean by gentle... a "swept" bend does count, just less than an elbow (i.e. adds 0.3m rather than 0.5m to the effective length of the pipe for the purposes of calculation)

Reply to
John Rumm

See the Gas Fitting FAQ.

Reply to