catching lightning..

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Hmmm

ISTR something like that in the dim distant past

NO idea where it was though

Reply to
geoff

Waddya mean?

These things worked

Reply to
geoff

Ooh, that's cruel!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Heh. It could be a long trip.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

There was something similar at Llandudno at the root of the pier.

Long time ago, though!

Reply to
Bruce

Clever!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In article , Harry Bloomfield scribeth thus

What this church had a lightning conductor that vaporised?. Whatever was it a bit of mains earth lead?..

Not as large as that.. the stuff we normally use is Inch by eighth but it comes in several shapes and sizes. What's getting fashionable is to use Aluminium as Copper gets nicked all too easily by the Pikey's...

>> (are lightning conductors designed to typically only work a handful of

They are usually designed for a hundred years or so;!..

What has the power if the strikes gone up or was this seriously corroded?..

Reply to
tony sayer

When I lived in Jo'burg, a lightning strike within 50 meters was a weekly occurrence.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The key is to actually discharge the clouds before lightning occurs.

There's a few megavolts there you could tap at small current.

Probably the best use of windmills anyway. They could do the capturing;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, I was just about to make that comment to Geoff prior to reading your post! When that disappeared though, I cannot recall though certainly there circa 1955/57.

Reply to
Clot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember NT saying something like:

Drivel would know. Connect it to a Priapism.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Ditto.

Might have been. I recall going to N.Wales as a nipper in 1960-ish. I never went anywhere near Lowestoft.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

ARWadsworth

The main problem will be the currently unknown environmental problems caused by disrupting the storms.

Reply to
dennis

I've always understood that when it strikes oscillation occurs, hence despite originating as dc it ends up ac.

NT

Reply to
NT

But if you caught it, it wouldn't bounce would it? Simples!

eek.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can you quote a source or reference for that?

Reply to
dom

I thought it was a first ionisation strike - small current not particularly visible, and then a much mire substantial return strike following the path of ionised air created by the initial strike. Hence bidirectional, but not AC in the accepted sense?

Reply to
John Rumm

Correct. The initial ionisation being the "leader".

Reply to
Huge

However the direction of ionisation is not the direction of current flow, by and large.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher