cast iron pipe & hole saw

Hi

Can anyone advise what kind of hole saw i would use to drill into a cast iron waste pipe? Where to buy? I'm thinking of drilling a hole to fit a bath waste pipe which is about 42mm wide.

thanks

Daljit

Reply to
Daljit

If I were undertaking such a task I would use a mag drill with a good cutter . Another option might be a (good) Starret hole saw with appropriate pilot and arbor. GS

Reply to
Great Scot

I've drilled smaller holes (about 25mm) in a cast-iron bath with a standard bimetal hole saw from screwfix or the likes. It was hard work!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Bimetal hole saw, lots of lubricant, steady grip, slow speed, spare pilot bits, and a lot of time.

Improvements from experience; clamp a wood block (cut curve in backside) to pipe and once through the wood remove the pilot bit and increase speed. When almost fully cut, stop drilling, place a wire into pilot hole to hold coupon and pry coupon to break last bit on each side. Plan on getting about one hole per saw.

FYI Coupon is the American technical term for the remnant from a hole saw and often an inspector will want to see it to verify a proper hole was made.

SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels

Perhaps we had better have an English term for use over here. How about Receipt?

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

Might be easier to replace the cast iron section with plastic

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We already have one, it's 'cutout'

Reply to
Phil L

I've done this a couple of times. There are two approaches:

1) (by the book method). Cut out a section of the soil stack and replace the section with plastic. Get two rubber couplings and put a section of 110m plastic in the gap. You then hole saw the side of the plastic and add a strap on or solvent weld boss. 63mm is the size you'll need IIRC.

2) Use a grit edged hole saw again 63mm IIRC and add strap on boss. You'll need to pack out the strap as the CI soil stack is a bit less than 110m. You'll need to seal the boss to the CI plumber mait or silicone should do.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'd be slightly worried about the weight of the stack above sitting on this - and the disruption you might cause to the fixings by cutting the stack.

I prefer the sound of this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:41:12 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Ed Sirett wrote this:-

That is roughly what I did two decades ago in one of the houses I keep an eye on. The right sort of boss has a short projection so that the water stream will not touch the cast iron for some way down.

Still sound two decades later and likely to remain that way for a very long time. Far better in all respects than removing a section of cast iron pipe and replacing it with plastic.

Reply to
David Hansen

When I was younger and slightly more ignorant than I am now I used several HSS drill bits to make a circle of holes in the pipe. I got them as close together as possible and then knocked the centre through with a hammer. Of course when I mentioned this to a friend 'in the trade' he was horrified and said I was lucky I didnt shatter or crack the stack!

(so it sounds like you're smarter than me)

Reply to
pjlusenet

I think the idea is to replace a whole section of the cast iron so there's no cutting involved.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Could then be a *very* costly option given there's usually a vent to each stack.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the few occasions I've done this I've mostly gone for the grit edged hole saw.

A couple of times I went for the replace the upper half of the soil stack with plastic which has the advantage that you only need one of the expensive rubber couplings.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Just to say thanks for all advice given.

Daljit

Reply to
Daljit

what is a mag drill. I was thinking of buying a 1/2" impact driver

Reply to
bobs

Magnetic drill. Google it.

For sure I would not be using an impact driver on cast iron pipe.

Reply to
newshound