carpet fitting with gripper rods

Can someone tell me if gripper rod is used across the entrance to a front door? If not, how is the carpet secured there? Just plain old carpet tacks?

Many thanks

S.

Reply to
No Joke

The message from "No Joke" contains these words:

Ours is.

Reply to
Guy King

"No Joke" asked:

Yes, gripper rods are used for that, tacks will produced a dimpled appearance. If fitting a gripper rod is a problem, an alternative is a nailed or screwed-down metal carpet bar.

Reply to
Codswallop

It *can* be, depending on the levels. Carpet fitted to gripper rods needs a vertical surface (usuall a wall or skirting board) just beyond the rod. If the door frame stands up above floor level - and provides the necessary vertical surface (it only needs to be a bit higher than the thickness of the carpet and underlay) - gripper rods are fine.

Otherwise use aluminium (coloured if you wish) carpet edging strip such as

This holds the carpet on (sort of) spikes, and hides the raw edge of the carpet.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks all for the input. Fitting gripper rod isn't a problem as the floor is perfectly level there. I had a carpet fitted the other day and the fitter never put any gripper rod at the entrance to the front door and never tacked it either and it has now started to bulge a bit. When I phoned the shop I was told it wasn't normal practice to put gripper rod across the entrance to a front door! So I thought maybe there was a reason?

S.

Reply to
No Joke

There's a reason alright - and that is that they'll make up any old rubbish to try to justify shoddy work!

What stops you from getting your toe caught under the raw edge of the carpet, and tripping?

Get them back to do it properly!

Reply to
Roger Mills