Car opened.

Now my van doors can do that. It can work both ways.

  1. A door is left unlocked

or

  1. It locks and then refuses to unlock.

I know walk around the van and physically check that the doors are locked.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No.

All the doors and boot were properly shut.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since I bought it near new and the thefts are pennies, I somehow doubt one who could afford 40 grand for a car could be bothered. But I have all the keys as supplied new.

Why would they go to the bother for such a small amount?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had the opposite on a BMW a few years back ..it wouldnt open (ocassionaly)..It turned out to be a hairline crack although not sure now if it was in the wiring or a component. I didnt take much interest in it as it was a company car.

Reply to
ss

used to the sound of the door locks that I can immediately tell whether it has failed to do anything; locked and then deadlocked; or locked and unlocked as a door isn't properly shut. The flashing of the indicators as it deadlocks is entirely superfluous.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

BMW Central locking - My fav subject.

It is highly unusual for the E39 to randomly unlock it self. If it happens= on a regular basis, try wrapping your key in tin foil. This creates a fara= day cage preventing the radio signals reaching the car. I guarantee that i= t is the key that is unlocking the car. =20

The E39 can be set to autolock after 2mins if you don't touch the car after= unlocking. As standard it will flash the indicators on lock. It can also= be set to flash twice on unlock. The former option may be of use to you.

Reply to
Colin_Ab (CA Auto_elec)

Sorry Dave,

Should have included the reply to the usenet group. Please fee free to post my last message.

Reply to
colinabraham1

Do you have problems locking/unlocking the car at times? If you do it may be interference from some low life scum transmitting codes and waiting for a car to unlock. apparently some of the "random" code sequences aren't very random or it wouldn't work. Some of the newer cars can be set *not* to flash when they are unlocked so the scum can't see if its worked when they are sitting in the middle of a car park and they auto relock after a minute or so if no doors are opened.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm quite surprised that they don't use an almost contact less system or very short range infra red near the door, so very much harder to anyone to intercept rather than broadcasting it around the neighbourhood for anyone else to pick up;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I really wonder what car companies are on, they seem to lose the plot repeatedly on stuff like this. I've never had any cause to complain about purely mechanical key systems myself.

NT

Reply to
NT

I really wonder what car companies are on, they seem to lose the plot repeatedly on stuff like this. I've never had any cause to complain about purely mechanical key systems myself.

NT

- - - - - -

I still use one err two :) I think they're all getting too smartarse these days. I had a look inside the bloke next doors Lexus the other day, madness, even he has no idea about most of it. The alarm sometimes goes off for no reason so he sits in the house with remote in hand. I'm not against progress but how complex do they wanna get. What was wrong with the A35 (cept for hydraulic clutch) ? ;) I mean c'mon, rain sensors to save you switching on the wipers yet we don't have auto arse-wiping equipment generally in the home?

Reply to
brass monkey

They do. The latest systems are using NFC (near field, same as Barclaycards) and a phone app.

Some of the developers even understand crypto.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well, I've never gone to the car and found it open - apart from, as I've said, on the several occasions things have been stolen from it. So if it were the key opening it the thief must check it every day.

BTW, when I get indoors, I hang up the keys - I don't carry them around with me. And when I'm out with the car, I've never come back to the car to find it unlocked - only ever happens at home.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps then an app thats tied up with the credit/debit card or something very unique on the phone?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Any of your kids needing pocket money ?

Reply to
F Murtz

Heh heh. That would be the logical explanation - except that I live on my own.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what's that got to do with it?

Reply to
charles

Well one thing you can do with this is city car clubs, where booking a shared car is just a phone app and there's no need to pick up (physical) keys. You can book online, the phone app (and phone's onboard GPS) leads you to where the car's parked, the car knows you're on the way because the server has sent it some SMS and your phone acts as a carkey.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It would suggest someone has access to the keys. Which they don't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)