Car fuel consumption spreadsheet

LPG comes out of the ground. Hydrogen has to be made - typically from natural gas...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

"CO2 emissions related to the production of hydrogen vary by source; however, well-to-wheel CO2 emissions using hydrogen reformed from natural gas - the most widely used method of production today - are less than half that of a conventional petrol vehicle. With the production of hydrogen from water by electrolysis, CO2 emissions can be further reduced and ultimately approach zero if the electricity is generated from sustainable sources, such as solar, wind, hydro and wave power."

which sounds fantastic - but then it would from them wouldn't it :)

Interesting they don't mention nuclear as an option...

The 5,000-psi hydrogen storage tank is slightly scary as well - but then everyone driving around with a plastic tank containing 10 gallons of petrol is scary I guess..

I can't really see prius type hybrids making massive gains either. I know two people who bought a prius. Neither have them now :-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Drivel.

(or doesn't he count?) I was just thinking about it, and apart from anything else I'm really not sure I want a car that's optimised for being stopped in traffic...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Interesting that they chose to mention natural gas, which is a vanishing resource, and one whose cost and availability is subject to the whims of a certain Russian Prime Minister and former President who is soon to be president again. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

You have just designed a Vauxhall Astra. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

... when you look in the mirror.

Reply to
Bruce

Ah, of course. Make that 3 people then. Two of which have a brain and have got rid of them... Dunno if Drivel still has his (assuming he actually had one and hadn't just sent off for the brochure).

I dunno. Would be quite handy for my commute in Canterbury :-(

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Or 100k miles isn't it?...that's less than 8 years for many people

No, you are correct - it is only available for lease apparantly (at "only"

300 quid a month)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

If you get a hydrogen leak you end up breathing it in.. its not toxic but should you see a hydrogen fire travelling towards you at high speed you had better keep you mouth shut.

Any person that wanted to make a difference would buy a smaller car.

Reply to
dennis

well after a minute of 100% CPU use when I hit that page, and still unable to download, I think I'll give it a miss, thanks

I take it its some 'green' site designed to burn CPU cycles instead of carbon?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

scam on it.

Ther is a flash advert that detects your machine and says 'is your (PC/MAC) running slow' and invites you to spend money to make it go faster.

In fact the code in that advert, is deliberately designed to slow your machine to a crawl.

I am sure this quattro file is fine, but I will NOT use that website.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's unreadable with the latest version of OpenOffice and also with Lotus 123R5 dating back to 1994 that usually copes with everything else. While there are a number of free converter programs for this format they all seem to be limited to a very low number of lines and half a spreadsheet is useless. Have you considered using paper tape or a Sinclair Spectrum cassette as they are probably more compatible with modern computers? :)

Reply to
Mike

eh? They were around in the 50's and 60's, mainly abominations and they were hardly popular.

If the Smart 2 seater isn't a practical, safe, microcar then what is?

I know I'd sooner be in a crash in one of those than in a 1960's Mini or anything of the same era and size produced by Fiat or Renault or Citroen.

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

I wonder what dennis drives ...

Reply to
geoff

Astra 1.7 CDT, Corsa 1.2 or a smart depending on what I am doing and who got there first. The Astra always goes first and I spend a lot of time in the Smart. It uses more fuel than the Astra BTW.

Reply to
dennis

Nice thought, but electrolysis isn't a particularly efficient use of energy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were fairly popular with those wanting to 'upgrade' from a motorbike who couldn't afford a proper car. They were very much cheaper new than a new small car - unlike the Smart.

No worse than a motorbike.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That doesn't stop plenty of people from buying Rollers.

Reply to
Huge

Exactly...

I'd rather not be in a Smart at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you been invited top the their meet?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel