Can I get a cloakroom into 104cmx80cm space?

I've got an upstairs cupboard which would be very useful as a cloakroom (toilet and handbasin) but as I said it's only 104x80. Is this practical? Has anyone done a similar thing?

Reply to
clangers_snout

Not that size specifically.

However...

- Is it 800mm wide and 1040mm deep or the other way round?

- Does the door open outwards?

- Is there space in the room behind to fit some plumbing works? Here I am thinking about a wall mount or back to wall toilet with the works in the room behind.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If the door opens outwards, and is at one side of the space, it should work.

A basin like the 4299 on

the corner in front of the door, and a short projection WC (600mm depth like the tavistock micra or roca senso) at the other end would work. Offset the WC 50mm from the centre to give better clearance. It's tight, but OK.

auctions

I think you are supposed to have 750mm clearance between pan and basin.

mark

Reply to
mark

Possibly. There are a lot of things that one is *supposed* to do. New sanitary work is notifiable to Building Control AIUI, so they ought to know. Whether a gap from bog to basin would be as big a concern as a lack of means of fire escape, I'm less sure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The only rules I know of are to do with downstairs WCs in new build, but that's because they are required to be disabled accessible. Doesn't apply to an extra WC like this.

auctions

Will this fit?

Then you could free up space elsewhere ...

Reply to
Adrian C

Sorry, I should have given more details. The door is on the long side and opens outwards. I have actually already given a building notice to do this along with a load of other stuff, so I'm covered there, but I started to get second thoughts as I delved in to the practicalities of actually doing it. The real issue seems to be the projection of the toilet. I've found one that is 520mm deep and if anyone knows of a smaller one that would be good. The wall behind where the toilet will sit is a partition so I can run the waste to a macerator through that (so that the toilet isn't pushed any further forward) and place the cistern in the loft out of the way. The only way in and out will be the door so the point made about having no fire escape route is a good one. I'll have to ask BCO tomorrow.

Reply to
clangers_snout

Just saw a reference to the optimum distance between pan and basin being

140-160 mm in disabled facilities. Of course this could be ideal for disabled but contravene general regulations - who knows?
Reply to
Rod

Have you ever seen those experiments where they test how far the spray goes when you flush with the lid up?

Reply to
PCPaul

If you're using a back to the wall toilet, the roca laura pan is only

480mm, but 1040mm is OK anyway - you don't need that much room in front of the WC, and as long as the basin is to the side it won't interfere.

Better still if you are using a macerator is the sanicompact macerating toilet. It has the macerator built in, doesn't use a cistern, and is 430mm deep.

Fire escape isn't an issue, because it's not an obstruction at the exit of a room - you don't go past the toilet, so it can't impede your escape.

auctions

That's a great suggestion and would be my ideal choice but at =A3400 is out of my budget range. The roca Laura W.C. is =A3115 though so that looks just the job. Thanks.

Reply to
clangers_snout

Dunno, but my paramedic daughter & her crewmate (both size 10's) had to attend a 26 stone bloke who had collapsed whilst on the throne. They had a hell of a job getting him out due to the confined space.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Also worth noting that cloakrooms etc are not "habitable rooms" from the point of view of building regs, so there are not usually any special provisions required to assist escape from them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Although at =A3115 plus about =A3200 for a macerator, plus cost of cistern, extra work in fitting etc - might actually be as cheap getting the sanicompact at =A3360 (cheapest I've seen it online)

auctions