How do I get a washing machine into a tight space?

My washing machine is 2cm shorter than the bottom of the worktop that I have to get it under and there is no room at the left or right side (there will be about gap 1/2 cm left and right when I eventually get it in). What I need is something like those rollers that you can fit to the appliance and let you slide it in to place. The problem is the smallest (in height) that I have found is about 4cm high. Can anyone suggest another method, or a very small (less than 2cm height) roller system please?

Erm! push it in.
clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Bit of old carpet - pile side down under the machine. It should let you slide it over most smooth floors nice and easily. Once in, you can either leave it there, or pull it out.
(has the machine not got a roller anyway? Many have a leaver at ground level on the front that when pulled forward will drop rollers down raising the machine by only a few mm)
--
Cheers,

John.

Or cardboard. Or smear some washing-up liquid over the floor before pushing the machine in.

Don't think I've ever seen this, but it would be good. Any brands in particular you can think of?
John
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bosch do it as standard... I am sure I have seen it on others.
--
Cheers,

John.

And here I was thinking I was the only rough-arse in here to do this :-}
Colin Wilson wrote:

Nope, here too
Thanks for all the replies, some good ideas in there.

I have an old MDF board (10mm thick) that I keep for the likes of this. Not because the space it too small (although it is a small space) but it stops me tearing the lino when pulling any of the machines in or out.
Put the board in front of the space, machine on the board and it will just slide easy.
Steven.

I have a couple of strips of shiny faced hardboard for the same purpose - also ideal for sliding the heavy (CRT) TV over the carpet without wrecking the stand or the carpet. Incidentally - I wouldn't want slippery feet on the washing machine so I am voting against the use of washing up liquid. Using 2 strips makes it easy to tilt the machine forward a touch and swing the strips from under the back feet - then tilt it back and swing them from under the front feet
Steven Campbell wrote:

I use a very similar technique to this, but my skid plate MDF board is only 4 mm thick. Just make sure that you stand on it, if you are fitting or removing the appliance though.
Put a long piece of MDF on the floor, it has to be at least 2 1/2 half times the depth of the appliance and position it so that the appliance will drop its back feet off it as it gets to the place you finally want it, by measuring how far the feet will be from the wall when it is in its final place. Push the appliance back until you feel the back feet hit the floor and then place your hand at the top front face of the appliance, push back to tilt and pull the skid board out. Removal of the appliance is the reverse of above. Push the top back, insert the skid board, until it hits the back feet and pull back from the top of the front face until it slides onto the skid board. Then pull out by gripping the appliance at the bottom.
Note MDF tends to get a bend in it. Make sure that it is belly up, or when you come to remove the appliance, you will not get the rear feet high enough to pass over the back of it.
Dave

Piece of cardboard at the back of the washer.
Open the door, lift the front of the washer slightly by grabbing hold of the metal at the top of the door hole, push backwards.
Probably not suitable for a washing machine since I assume you are looking for something that will remain under the machine but I bought a set of these at the Ideal Home show some years ago:
http://www.sliderz.co.uk/home.html
and they really are quite good for moving heavy furniture and the like.
Andrew
On Jun 20, 1:24am, clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Should go ok if you push it at the base rather than higher up. Get down and use your feet to do it if necessary. If i've understood you right.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

AT one time thin PTFE coated steel slides could be purchased for fixing to the floor to allow easy sliding in and out - havent been able to find them recently.
If the machine is going to be tight fit, consider how you will get it out ! Far more difficult
A strap left in place round the back of the machine will allow you to pull it out later.