cable recycling

We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off cuts in the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

i think copper is very expensive at the moment so why not pop it in your car and take it to a scrap yard (with your beer cans etc) then donate the money to oxfam?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

When I re-did the bathroom there were two Polish guys roaming up and down the road looking for scrap metal. They were very polite and asked me before taking anything; I gave them my blessing and told them when I expected to be putting most of the old pipes out.

They did take away the cable that I dumped.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

andrew wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Leave any scrap outside the skip. Pikeys will cruise around every hour or so. They will take away scrap but likely to leave a fridge or two or a load of asbestos, ah well, win some, gain a load!

Heliotrope Smith

Copper is worth alot, call your local metal scrap dealer, you might have to burn off the insulation in a metal container but its worth it, in US dollars its about 3$ a lb.

Reply to
ransley

Don't burn off the insulation; It's illegal and the scrap yard should by rights not accept it.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

"Friends, Families and Travellers" would seem the most likely and appropriate

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What a wonderful view of the world you have! Where did you buy the rose tinted glasses?

Reply to
cynic

Think you need to re-read what he said. I dare say some scrappies will ignore the law.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

That would be a NO then, today the young lad that helps me around the yard presented me with a few hanks of copper stripped from its plastic. I might encourage him to keep a box for the purpose if the boss allows him the benefit without moaning about the "opportunity cost",

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Copper at the scrap yard is =A33410/ton if you remove all the brass and shave off the insulation on a cylinder. Brass is around =A32850/ton so you can understand why its worth keeping those old taps and valves! You even get around =A31.50 for a second hand element. Brand new 22mm pipe is around =A3110 for 30 metres and 15mm is =A355 for

30metres.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

What about lead?

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Dave Osborne

You leave that church roof alone, lad.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My local plumbing place tell me they hardly sell copper pipe anymore now simply due to its cost, seems plastic rules the day!...

Reply to
tony sayer

5 to the scrapper at one time seems we'd need a licence and they won't collect;!...
Reply to
tony sayer

and its very poisonous to you and the planet, cyanides, dioxyins, cancers...

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Why are they making cable with insulation that is so poisonous when it burns. What happens in a house fire?

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

a: You hear the smoke alarm and exit. b: You die from toxic fumes.

Then your insurance pays for the cleanup.

Reply to
dennis

c: you use LSOH cable which costs twice as much (BS7211). You still of course exit from a: or die in about 2-3 mins from the other combustion toxic products.

If someone thinks they have lead gas piping, it might actually be block tin. That is worth considerably more (about 3x off the top of my head).

Reply to
js.b1