Cable preparation.

There are a vast range of tools available for removing the sheath from say TV coax without cutting the braid - but many are not that reliable. And made out of short lived materials. What is the definitive make for an adjustable type? I'm not too concerned about cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always find this works nicely on round co-ax:

?sku=TLAB063&_requestid=351802You can set the cut depth very accurately.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've always used a non-adjustable Cyclops - there is more than one type, but I use the 'generic' one for all sorts of cable. I've used it fairly heavily with no noticeable 'wearing out'.

Yes, I know it's not adjustable (apart from having a 'thin' and 'thick' opearting mode), but thought I'd add the data point.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Looks good. Is there any real disadvantage in getting the 075? It's only marginally smaller and is cheaper.

Reply to
Si

do a range of strippers.

Their flat-cable "Slit All" strippers handle tough LSOH sheath, most likely overkill for far softer PCB but cheap as tools go.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

I can't see any obvious difference... their (ABECO's) web site does not give much away either.

Reply to
John Rumm

Been wondering about that one... Can it also slit the insulation along its length? Will it work on flat T&E?

Reply to
Ian White

Yes, you press the button, and the cutter point rotates through 90 degrees, you then slide the tool off the cable. Depending on how tough the insulation it may not penetrate right through on the slide (unlike on the multiple turns), but it will at least score it.

Works best on round cables, so not ideal for T&E.

Reply to
John Rumm

Presumably the user would have to adjust the blade as the cable turned the corners. Whether than was worth the effort...

Reply to
Si

I've never felt the need for a sheath remover for TW&E - just split the first inch or so axially with a knife then pull out the ECC at right angles to the cable to the required length. Then remove the sheath from the L&N and cut it off with side cutters. Avoids any possibility of damage to the insulation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks... maybe I'll stick with the existing three-blade strippers for coax, and the knife for taking the cover off T&E.

Reply to
Ian White

For the smaller T&Es (i.e. 4mm or less) I find the solution Dave described works well for me. Cut longitudinally down the end with ordinary cutters, and grab the earth wire with the tip of the cutters and then pull it through the side of the sheath to the required position.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm sure some anoraks will want a perfect looking cut to the sheath, and worry that this method strains the ECC. As regards the second point - or where you are preparing both ends of a short bit of wire at once and might simply pull out the ECC, a sharp knife held against the ECC as you cut longitudinally solves this problem. But take care not to nick the needed insulation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)