Buried Electrical connections

Thanks to all for the advice. I was a little puzzled by Alan's response but this is Usenet ;-)

I purchased the proper crimping tool, as recommended, the blue joiners and heatshrink from my local Screwfix.

I did a practice crimp on a bit of scrap cable and was very impressed with the strength and neatness of the joint.

I have now done the connection and all seems well.

Thanks once again.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

which AIUI is required by the Regs

A main purpose of conduit is being able to replace wires. Otherwise might as well use MICC, SWA, Macanite or similar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Strip the insulation off the terminal and have another look.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The effectiveness of a crimp joint is measure by its pull strength not by its appearance. Sausages look awfull if you strip the skin off but they stiil taste scrunptious

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Just done that Dave. Seems perfectly OK to me. Must be beginners luck, or that my tool is better than yours ;-)

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

So, other than my post, didn't he get a sensible answer?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

And your advice was?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

The house gets sold, the new owner decides to hang some pictures, bangs a nail into the plaster and through the wire.

I would have thought that the danger of plastering over was obvious.

That I cannot believe!

Who mentioned surface mount?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Not if the wires follow the routes permitted in the rules and the wielder of the hammer is aware of the rules.

Reply to
Guy King

.... very good advice

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Well, most people would or should have the common sense to try to determine whether any cables are likely to be under the plaster. If they can't, cable detectors are cheap thesedays. If they do catch a cable accidently and need to repair it, the good advice given to me in this thread would help them, or someone less accident prone, to repair it satisfactorily.

Well you will have to. At least 50% of my flat's wiring is under plaster.

You did, indirectly, by stating that connections and cables should not be under plaster.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, it was good advice.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Indeed! Thanks dcbwhaley!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

If the regs require conduit or similar, yes.

However, many seem to use it to 'protect' a single TW&E cable run.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a bit more to a decent crimp joint than mechanical strength.

Most are revolting. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And your idea of putting the wire in plastic conduit would make not a scrap of difference if someone decides to nail into the wall. Steel conduit, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, other than your post yes he did. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

'tis thats why the regs state that wiring should only run vertically and horizontally from a fitting (with exceptions for corners and ceilngs).

The industrial round steel pipe conduit, yes but not metal capping. How do you fix that? With nails...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

To put your life at risk, doesn't sound like good advice to me.

Consider this, as I said in another post, banging nails into a wall which has buried electic cables in is dangerous, apart from perhaps selling your house to someone else who will drive nails into the wall, possibly killing themselves, if you stay in the house until you get old, when your memory, like mine, will gradually get to a point where you cannot remember why you have stood up from a chair, you decide to hang pictures, and you forget that you have put cables in the wall, you or your wife will be the ones banging nails into the wall.

Now if you wish to put your life at risk because of an idiotic notion that you can just put cables into a wal and plaster over them, that is your prerogative, but do not put someone elses life in danger.

Now I speak from experience, when I moved into the house I an in, I wanted to make some alteration to a room, I think it was to remove a fireplace, and I started to use a chisel on the wall to release the fireplace, but, fortunately, before any damage was done, I discovered that the previous owner had done exactly what I am warning you not to do, cables were buried in the plaster, and if I had been a couple of millimeteres out I would possibly be dead, so ignore the 'good advice' you have been given and do the job properly.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

So, you buy a house, and you know where the cables are because you are phsycic?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes