broken zanussi washine machine (3rd time in 1.5 years)

Hi All, about 1.5 years ago I bought a Zanussi washer dryer. Its the WJD1667W model, which was supposed to be a really good one. After 6 months, the dryer fan stopped working, machine got very hot and cut out. I called the repair guy out under warranty. The guy took the lid off and the damn fan worked fine. Nothing we could do would recreate the problem. He replaced the fan. I questioned whether it might be a fault on the control side, but he said it was unlikely.

6 months after this, just before the warranty expired the machine got to the spin cycle at the end of a cycle and just kept going. half an hour later and a lot of spinning (and the timer not counting down) I pulled the plug and called him back again. Again we couldn't recreate the problem, he took the lid off, poked around and told me it was my fault and that the load was probably unbalanced. Appaerntly this machine is very sensitive to unbalanced loads. I was inclined not to believe him, but there wasn't a lot I could do. Now, another 6 months on and out of warranty, the machine stopped mid cycle and is unable to drain itself. I have to drain it through the filter panel to get the door release to operate. I've tried several times and it doesn't drain. The drain pipe is clear (I can blow down it very easily, and hear the air bubbles bubbling through the undrained water). The filter is also completely free of stuff.

So what should I do? To get the service guy out is £60+VAT + parts. I think Zanussi should just replace the machine - it's been nothing but fault after fault. Additionally, there's only 2 of us, so it's not even heavily used. Anyway - anyone else's experience here would be appreciated.

The second thing is, where could I get a service manual? I can't even get to the pump at the moment - seems the whole machine is made in two halves, with the drum attached with large springs. I'm really not sure how to get to the pump, or whether this is even possible.

Any advice appreciated, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Most likely some object jammed in pump, not necessary to strip machine at all the pump is at the bottom right hand corner it simply slides out of the filter housing it is held in by a plastic clip on the machine base. A new pump is universal Ascoll type and very easy to obtain and cheap.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for that - so I'd need to get the machine on its side to get at the pump from underneath right? Do you know whether I can check the pump is getting power from the top of the machine (I can get the lid off easy). I could get a multimeter onto anything accessible from the top easily before I tip the machine over and go underneath.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Just been under machine. mains is being supplied to pump. Is this relay driven, or straight from a power semiconductor. If the latter, it might be failing under load (I had to detach the leads to test). If relay, unlikely to be load problem. Either way, could be pump. Odd that the pump would fail given it's very new. Any more advice much appreciated. Any idea on the exact pump?

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Check uk.legal - it doesn`t sound as if the goods are of durable quality to me, and you may have a claim against the place you purchased it from !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

your making it very complicated just remove the pump and take out the obstruction there will be no failing underload or such problems. Be carefull to retain and refit the o ring seal on the pump, no need to tip machine on its side just lean it back and slide out pump.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

for origional

for universal

Reply to
Peter

Yes but maybe its customer misuse a object in pump for example

Peter

Reply to
Peter

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Realistically you will probably have to call out the engineer to at least have a working machine unless you have a nearby launderette. Is there another engineer you can call out, maybe a local guy, as the prodder you get seems to be just that.

The machine may be out of warranty, but Sale of Goods Act does state the goods should be 'durable'. I would contact the retailer and explain that the machine isn't durable and ask for a partial refund (to allow for usage). Make sure you state you bought a Zanussi because of its higher reputation for quality. If they don't play ball then maybe a Small Claims Court action? I've no idea what the chances of winning would be - the retailer may fight it just to stop a precedent being set for refunds. More than likely they would settle before it reaches court to disallow that precendent. If they have a shop, then I'd go in when they are busy and start complaining about the breakdowns and how they have left you high and dry. If they threaten to call the Police even better, then just ring up the local newspaper for a good story.

If you're looking for the pump, then I would imagine it would be very low down so it can pump all the water out and be fed by gravity. Taking off the drain hose to the pump will obviously help drain the machine, but very wet. When we had a WD the problems we had were poor drying as the valves that operated the water cooling wouldn't work. The thermocouples would also not regulate the temp very well even when the water cooling was working, and the whole lot would just cut out. In the end our WD was so unreliable that we junked it (after 2 years and about six breakdowns). We didn't try to get any refund as we had enough of it and didn't want any more hassle.

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

Hi Peter, I have the machine on its side so I can see everything more clearly. I can see the pump is fixed to the filter housing, but where's the clip. I'm damned if I can locate it. There's a big plastic heatshield (?) running round the back to protect the outlet pipe from the pump (and the pump was damned hot after it's last attempt to work) I can see a few screws but they seem to be holding the two halves of the pump itself together. I suspect if I can get the pump out and claen it out it will be just fine. We have very high calcium in the water so it could well just be a lot of limescale build up (or a load of my other half's long hair). Appreciate your help so far - if you know where the clip is I'd be much obliged to you if you could reply! Many thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

I would expect so too, but there is the question of proof. People have a habit of making scenarios up and sitting back to seee if you can prove them wrong. From your story it would appear you might have no evidence at all.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If youd bought your machine used, a) you would have paid less b) you'd dump it and buy another c) you wouldnt go through all this hassle with repair co's d) you would expect the odd failure and not not be emotionally hung up over the loss e) after buying a replacement machine you would STILL have paid out less in total.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Not sure what you mean by proof - I have had the engineer back twice under warranty, already had the blower fan replaced (and 2 other parts at the same time), and now it's not working. They would be welcome to inspect the machine for excessive wear etc to find out if I've been runnnig a laundrette from my kitchen! But to be honest, it's probably too much hassle to even bother holding them to the letter of the law (sufficient durability). It's difficult to say what is sufficient durability. My parents had a machine that failed 3 times in 20 years (all those at least once/twice daily family washes when I was growing up). Mine has failed 3 times in 18 months with just two of us using it - and this is supposed to be their top model. I need it fixed as I have to wash my clothes - so going down any kind of legal route and living without a washing machine for 6 months whilst it gets sorted isn't an option. What I will do is probably replace the pump myself (or at least strip it down and see if it is serviceable, and never ever buy Zanussi again. Ever! My Bosch fridge is still working floorlessly - if it keeps it up, maybe I'll stick to Bosch. My panasonic vacuum has spent 2 years sucking up bits of plaster and rubble as I've decorated my house and without a complaint. I wouldn't mind at all if it broke as it's been amazing. In comparison the washing machine has had a very low use level and has broken 3 times.

Sorry - wasn't meant to be a rant, but I'm am displeased with Zanussi. I'm sure you can understand the frustrating situation that this is!

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Emotionally hung up :O) I'm just a bit pissed off! that's funny. LOL. You're right I could have bought an old one, or a cheaper one. As it is I got a new one expecting it to go a bit longer before breaking down (fair assumption?) I won't be loosing sleep over it :O) Matt

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Hi All, ok pump removed, serviced and replaced. That's the good bit. Bad bit: Turned machine on and before any cycle selected it started pumping. Even worse, a small whisp of smoke came out of the white controller unit under the top cover (I had the top off). Is the controller likely to have had it? Not sure what caused it to do this - maybe the continuous load of the jammed up pump?

Anyway - it pumps, I can select wash cycles etc, but I cannot start them, and it just continuously pumps whenever the mains is on. Think this is going to get expensive :O( Help! Matt

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

oooppps that spells disaster sounds like you got water onto either the pump or controller and blown something. You may just may be lucky you could have air locked the pressure system with putting the machine on its side. Look for small bore rubber pipes running up the side of the cabinet from the tub sump upto either 1 or usuallly 2 round pressure switches attached to the top frame, remove these hoses from the switches and blow down them then replace and try again. If this does not work sounds like pcb blown, do you set this by buttons rarther than a rotary knob ? if so the machine will self diagnose faults and can be read by an engineer.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

yea it's set using buttons rather than a dial - any clue how diagmostic works? I'll try clearing the hoses like you suggest... :O(

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

No luck. Funny buzzing sound from controller now, then nothing. can select wash cycles, but not start any of them. Think it might have been washing conditioner that ran in there. Looks like a difficult part to remove judging by the number of wires running into it. Any idea where I could get a replacement? This is a nightmare! Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matthew J.E. Durkin

message

Indeed it is, turn off machine press and hold the green and grey buttons together then turn on machine with power button keeping the two depressed machine should start to flash lights in display indicating engineers mode. depress the bottom wash selector in the second row in should indicate last stored fault.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

message

Out of interest what was stuck in the pump ?

Peter

Reply to
Peter