Britain unprepared for severe blackouts

True. Kindles lack absorbency.

Reply to
S Viemeister

*splrrt!*
Reply to
Tim Watts

On 08/01/2015 22:18, Nightjar I suspect you will find it was a semi-automatic; you needed to pull the

But I suspect it would not be hard to change that...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Trivial. The hard bit with semi-autos is getting them to stop, rather than having them empty the entire magazine.

Reply to
Huge

I would think a 12 bore on full auto would put lead in the sky after the first round.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Meanwhile in Scotland (not actually this bit, but some parts not far from here) SSE (the former Hydro) are providing free food from fish-and-chip vans etc as emergency catering stations in places cut off by bad weather.

83,000 customers back on. 29,000 customers still off.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There's a full auto mod for a Remington semi (I forget which model) and I have a still of it being fired here somewhere - lots of muzzle flash and 2 or 3 ejected cartridges in the air. I imagine it would give you a hell of a bruise, but I see no reason why it would rise up.

Reply to
Huge

Prolly would in my case. I only ever fired a shotgun on one occasion - a clay pigeon shoot in North Carolina. I got 1.5 out of 20 - couldn't see where the pellets were going. Do they do tracer?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have only used a side by side 12 bore but found the gun needed re-training for an aimed second shot. You hear a lot of *double taps* from pigeon shooters but I doubt the second shot is aimed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Streater writes

If you stand behind a shooter, you can watch the wadding/plastic cup which travels straight for a short distance.

Your maths is better than mine but a bird might be crossing at 40mph, shot leaves the barrel at say 900 feet/sec. For a reasonable shot spread and to avoid *shredding* the target might be 100ft. distant.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Come on, it's not like a Sten. It has some length to it.

I fired a GPMG "from the hip" once - belt fed 7.62mm - and that had no tendency to go in any particular direction. And I didn't have as much weight (or muscle) then.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

On 10/01/2015 23:14, Tim Streater wrote: ...

Yes, but IME it is fairly useless.

Reply to
Nightjar

If you keep your eyes OPEN when you pull the trigger you can see the spread..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would I be closing my eyes? And no, I couldn't see the spread.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well I have seen the spread

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not everybody can, but IME tracer shells don't seem to make it any clearer.

Reply to
Nightjar

What's wrong with these people? Don't they have a plan for power cuts? Seems to be a regular occurence up there.

Just scroungers being bought off.

Reply to
harryagain

I don't think many people do have much of a plan for a power cut. They might have a few scented candles but possibly not a box of matches. Backup cooking, unless they go camping, probably not. Alternative space heating, unlikely.

I suspect it may actually be cheaper for the DNO. Can't remember the exact details of the compensation you get if off supply for more than

18(?) hours and for each x number of hours after that up to some limit. I do know we got about £50 per supply when we were off for 36 hours the other winter.

It would not surprise me if receiving a free greasy spoon fish & chip supper or 20 l of red for your genset stops you claiming the compensation payment. It's also good PR for the DNO, we are sorry, we can't control the weather but we are doing our best to feed you and keep you warm.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Actually, with experience you can see them. Besides, I guarantee you weren't giving them enough lead and shooting behind.

Reply to
Huge

Well, I didn't enjoy it a great lot. Was visiting a bloke I used to know in Geneva. The highlight of the trip (FSVO "highlight") was visiting a cigarette factory and seeing how they are made by machine.

Without a doubt.

Reply to
Tim Streater