Boxing in Cistern

Hi all

I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall pan. Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids (I have an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in the cistern and provide a false back for the pan? I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present. Probably end up painting the final install. I know that "furniture" is available for this application, but as I will be having to accomodate access to a stop c*ck and the with of the alchove is only 700mm, it may well be easier to make something from scratch.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

MDF is essentially lots of sawdust mixed with a resin; water-resistant mdf is sawdust mixed with a water-resistant resin. The water-resistant mdf I've purchased is a light-green hue. It cut's like mdf, and paints like mdf ( I can't believe it's not mdf I placed a 'lump' of the stuff on th area where the dishwasher and washing machine sit - just-in-case-. It's more expensive than the 'usual' mdf; I bought mine off SLH.

HTH.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

|> > I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall pan. |> > Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids (I |> > have an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in the |> > cistern and provide a false back for the pan? |> > I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present. |> > Probably end up painting the final install. |> |> MDF is essentially lots of sawdust mixed with a resin; water-resistant mdf |> is sawdust mixed with a water-resistant resin. The water-resistant mdf I've |> purchased is a light-green hue. It cut's like mdf, and paints like mdf ( I |> can't believe it's not mdf |> I placed a 'lump' of the stuff on th area where the dishwasher and washing |> machine sit - just-in-case-. It's more expensive than the 'usual' mdf; I |> bought mine off SLH.

One problem is the material swelling, warping and breaking up; the other is paint adhesion. Hardboard is a right b*gg*r, even when well sanded, and I assume MDF is similar. I would advise plywood - there is no need for marine ply, but external is better for damp locations.

We have a cheap hardboard door to a shower room, and it has flaked badly. And that is despite THOROUGH sanding and proper painting.

Oh, and if wiping clean is critical, use a solvent-based gloss.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Use MDF and tile it where it may get splashed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was just going to say that :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Spoken like 'one who's never used it' ...

Again spoke like 'one who' never used it' ....

Never, ever, make emphatic staements about meterials followed closely by 'and I assume'; don't 'assume' - check!

You might, just might, check on the grades of ply viz, maine; WBS; ...etc.. etc...

Scarcely suprising; given you 'knowledge' of sheet materials.

The problem with free advise; it's worth what one pays for it.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Tiling will complicate things considerably because the area that may get "splashed" needs to include a covered access hole for the incoming main stop tap

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster