box spanners

Hello,

Can anyone recommend where to buy box spanners either a bricks and mortar shop or online?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Have you tried your local friendly motor spares and tools shop?

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Errrrm. Anywhere? Any of the online tool suppliers, any CK or Draper stockist, Halfords?

I don't think you are trying very hard :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It rather depends on what type. They might be BA sizes for model etc work or one for removing an immersion heater.

In general few bother with them these days since deep sockets are so readily available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For use on the car.

Whilst looking at a catalogue this afternoon I saw some deep sockets and thought: perhaps these will do instead. Great minds think alike!

  1. I was hoping for an online seller, and Google didn't help. I guess I've become accustomed to letting the shop come to me, rather than the other way around!
  2. Just in case you said "avoid brand A" or "brand B" is brilliant, which is advice you don't get in the shops.

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Ebay sellers have some

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They're a far better choice. Box spanners aren't as strong or indeed as convenient. Can't remember when I last used one on a car.

If you're not sure about make Halfords pro range are decent and have a lifetime warranty. Not that I've managed to break any.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=============================== If you definitely want box spanners they're available here:

this catalogue for almost any kind of general use spanners, including deep sockets.

Cic

Reply to
Cicero

I might have been swayed towards the sockets now, but thanks. I did have a look through the machine mart catalogue and it seems they sell both. I might visit to see what they look like for real. Thanks again.

Reply to
nospam

I recently needed a box spanner (gold-coloured thin metal) where a chrome-vanadium socket wouldn't have done was when taking a bathroom basin tap apart to get at the seat, re-grind and fit a refurb kit. I 'real' socket would have been too large externally. Luckily, I found an old spark plug spanner (21mm for the tap) and 19mm at the other end. Using thin metal rods through it just bent them, so I used the Haynes classic "2 opposing nuts on a bolt" trick at the 19mm end with a big adjustable spanner. Just the job!

Reply to
The 1st Philosophical Handyman

I do carry several box spanners in the 'plumbing kit'. A set for doing up the nuts when fixing monoblock taps and one that fits 1/2" & 3/4" backnuts - useful when they are stuck firm, although you have to remove the pipework first.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Spot on that man. And if you have 2 you can stick the bath one over the spout of a basin tap to hold it steady while you use the basin-size one to undo the backnut!

Reply to
John Stumbles