Something (not Araldite) to repair a porcelain vase (it's not bone china, in case it matters).

Hello all. Is there a white powder which sets hard when mixed with water. Or a pre-mixed paste. I've just bought this nice decorated vase from a charity shop, and it has a chip under the base. It's not really important, but if I can do a neat repair. I'd like to do it.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Well auntie doesn't sound too encouraging

it's not particularly valuable and you want a go yourself then the "milliput" linked from this page sounds promising

Andy Burns

for the chipped area. I have a feeling it's based on an epoxy putty, so that would rule it out on the "not araldite" requirement.

Personally, if all I wanted was a functional repair that didn't stand out I'd probably use an epoxy, with a white (or colour matched) filler - possibly even plaster or chalk, after some experimentation, if the area's not too big and isn't structural. Hey, this is a DIY group!

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

It's not at all like araldite, more like a sort of plasticene or fymo that sets. Talking of which how about Fymo?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes, I'm aware of that fact. I've used Araldite before, but now wanted something better. I did say that it wasn't that important.

Thanks.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Google wasn't any help, so I've followed your advice: I mixed a little talcum powder with Araldite. I will see what it's like when it sets, tomorrow; and report.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Milliput may be what you want. Its a pigment loaded epoxy and filler - two pack, knead together, and takes a decent polish afterwards.

Most craft places stock it. You need the white one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well it is an epoxy, just loaded up with filler and pigment. Which makes it like a putty,.

Putty is, after all, only linseed oil loaded up with..whatever its loaded up with!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. If my Araldite and talcum powder mix isn't satisfactory, I'll give it a go.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Actually, that is pretty much what it is...I've used a variety of fillers in epoxy and polyester..talc, mica powder, microballoons, powder paints, even tried flour once. You can use dry sand as well..and cast your own 'sandstone' har har.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know it's an epoxy: I meant it's not like Araldite in that it's not runny and sticky.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Neither is araldite when loaded up with filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Milliput is one of those epoxies that is ok with water, so you can wet your fingers and make it easier to mould into shape.

Reply to
Tony Williams

It wasn't satisfactory. When I started paring it with a pocket knife blade, it started pulling away. Poor adherance. Even though I cleaned it with Isopropyl alcohol. I may not bother to do anything about it now. Thanks.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Did you try gluing the fix onto the piece with a thin(i.e. invisible) film of araldite? That would definitely adhere (strictly since it's bonding to the aradite in your mix, it would be cohesion) to the fix and should adhere to the ceramic too, since it's porous.

Reply to
Peter Lynch

I think that it would have adhered if I hadn't added the talcum powder (it wasn't a "fix"). I've had no problems with adherance using "pure" Araldite. I will do as you advise next time.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE