Bowing house wall - tie rods?

Page 5 of 6
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:28:16 UTC, "Michael Mcneil"

Hmmmm.our house is due to fall down then. Half of the house has joists going one way, and in the rest of the house they're at right angles. Obviously a design fault 100 years ago when it was built...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Now it's got me worried too. The joists in this old (100+ years) are all over the place. The builder has taken the shortest route between supporting walls in most cases, so you can imagine, with at least eight internal supporting structures, that none of the rooms have joists that run in same direction.
Yes. Very worrying to find out that floor joists should run parallel with the roofing rafters. :-))
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:25:34 GMT, "BigWallop"

Oh no, I just went and checked, ours are fine, but we're in a terrace, but I can't really easily check all our neighbours to see if they are ok too, I'm thinking if they were wrong then they could fall in on us from either side!
Concerned, Bucks.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
BigWallop wrote:

Particulraly if you have a pitched roof, I'd say :-)

Oh no, don't start with that, we got one of those too now - used to be flat though, so maybe I don't need to worry over that as well?!
Wonder which I need most, a weather man or a lawyer?
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And I would be worried too - if it wasn't for the big stone porch stuck to the side of it! The porch is about 2m wide, and central to the wall.
I'll let you know what the structural engineer says (next week).

Vague memories...
--
Grunff

Yup. I'm all in favour of using a pro for any job if needed, but blanket statements like Mcneil's bring out the worst in me. Especially since Grunff had already asked for advice on finding a good pro.
--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

;-)
--
fred

MM... IMM... any connection do we think?
David wrote:

Nah I don't think so, Mcneil makes IMM look extremely knowledgeable and polite, a bloody good bloke...
--
Grunff

writes

writes

Do you see me in dark corners as well?

IMM wrote:

Only in my worst nightmares.

writes

I am really happy to know I frighten the hell out of you. You have made my day.

IMM wrote:

Its not so much fear, as an undending vista of featureless grey.
The sort of colors they paint un snotty unis.
You know, sunday afternoon, its raining, you have read all the books 10 times, heard all the albums 100 times, seen all the DVDS and you turn on the TV and get 'songs of praise'.
And you realise what Hell really means. Being condemned to listen to your turgid opinions for eternity...

The problem with you is that you think the snotty uni educated you, and nothing else will. That is sad. You must read all my posts 4 times each. Google and read them all again - 4 times each. This is for your own good.

Corect!
It never.

Gasp!

yes, and is very sensibly trying to put himself in a position where a cowboy is less able to pull the wool over his eyes. Information is power.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

Absolutely. I find if I understand the job I can often get it done a) at a third the price b) and know its all good. c) and play with the design options to make maxiumum use of however the thing is laid out/constructed/etc. and d) sometimes do things the pros couldn't.
Knowledge is power in every area of life - yes, that too.
Regards, NT

Yes, I tied in the end gable wall of my daughters house earlier this year. It's an end terrace. Only just found this thread, I'll try to find time to give you the details tomorrow.
Phil