Bosch Washing Machine repeatedly starts spinning then stops

Hi.

We have a Bosch Maxx plus WFO2260 washing machine, probably about 6 years old. I changed the brushes a few months ago as it was not turning at all. It's was then fine up till now.

It will not spin properly. It starts picking up speed but then 'gives up' and stops for a moment, then does it all again, over and over.

It drains well, so that's not the problem. I'd suspect the brushes but they are relatively new and anyway, it would not be spinning at all - or would it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Reply to
Steve

A different brand has a microswitch that stops the spin if the bowl moves sideways too much while spinning. In my case that was because there was supposed to be a spring holding the bowl away from the microswitch, and the spring had broken.

Reply to
Matty F

wonder if the sensor? that detects an uneven load has failed so it thinks the load is uneven so stops (allowing load to fall in to new position) and starts again but if the sensor? is duff it just repeats - I asume it washed ok ......

Reply to
Ghostrecon

or you are trying to wash just a single thick bath mat like i did once, it must have weighed 5 kilo's due to all the water it had absorbed when i took it out of the machine after watching it try to balance the load about 20 times in a row,

wrung it out, and it balanced and spun the rest out, tho i was tempted to find another 5 kilo weighing object to bung in the washer to balance the wet mat with, but when the GF realised why i'd asked how much one of her cats weigh, she put a stop to it :)

Reply to
Gazz

Has it a balance sensor, also some control boards on washing machines have dodgy joints around things like relay pins that drop the volts and may make sensors think its not behaving as it should. Got to love all this technology...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Many thanks for all the replies. I guess it was an out-of-balance load as it is working normally now (crosses fingers).

Cheers.

Reply to
Steve

Out of interest, where is such a microswitch typically positioned? I have suspected that it is the reason stupidly large towels don't always spin to the point they don't drip. I just hang them up outside on the line to drip for a while if not needed in a rush. Never discovered such a switch even during a virtually complete dismantle for drum bearing change on an AEG. All that remained was the detergent drawer and PCB (unsprung parts at front top of machine), and the pump (unsprung at the base).

Reply to
Part Timer

In an F&P top loader, the switch is at top right, and the bowl bangs on it when it's unevenly loaded. The top plastic moulding has to be removed. Underneath it are extremely sharp edges. That is probably a penalty for trying to fix your own machine.

Reply to
Matty F

In my Hotpoint, it wasn't a microswitch, but detected by the speed servo in the motor as it slowly increases the speed to spread the clothes immediately prior to stepping up to the spin speeds. It could detect imbalance due to more clothes on one side of the drum, but not imbalance due do clothes being at the front on one side and the rear on the other side, as that doesn't cause a speed up and slow down each time the drum turns, although that mode of imbalance didn't matter as much.

It would have up to 3 goes to distribute the clothes evenly, and after the third failure, it still went on to spin, but dropped the max spin speed down to 1000RPM (from 1400RPM).

In my newer Hotpoint (which is really an Indesit as Hotpoint no longer exists), I haven't worked out how it's done, as I haven't seen it fail to distribute the clothes evenly yet. It's always done a superb job of getting the load distributed, and then gone on to spin at 1600RPM.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

These machines have a load sensor in them. They try to detect if the load is distributed evenly before spinning, and if not will behave as you describe to try and redistribute the clothes.

If the sensor is faulty, the machine is not level or the pcb is damaged then you will see the machine continuously trying to redistribute the clothes.

Ours started doing this and is about the same age, I went on the Bosch website and they offer a fixed price repair (based on time/materials) or a 12 month service contract which was about the same price. We went for the 12 month service contract and they ended up visiting 3 times, first checking the balance of the machine, then changing the heating element as it was scaled and the guy wondered if it wasn't heating properly, then on the last visit they changed the PCB and load sensors as well. Works fine now. Much cheaper than a new machine or paying for the repair visits and we still have the balance of the 12 month maintenance contract should any further problems develop :)

Reply to
funkyoldcortina