Boiler kettling

My sister has just had the BG service on her system boiler.

£750 quoted to sort out the kettling.

Why is it kettling if the original fill was treated?

Pumped micro bore to conventional radiators and now 17 years old!

What do they actually do to solve the problem?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

AIUI the inhibitors have a limited life. Limited meaning years but 17 is pushing it...

If the system is otherwise fully functional I'd just bung some more inhibitor in and see what happens.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

oops

good god!

turn pump up, add inhibitor

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can get boiler noise reducer additives that also reduce the kettling.

Reply to
John Rumm

BG loan you a padded barrel over which they bend you backwards until money falls out of your wallet.

Why oh why do people let BG into their homes????

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Kettling is local hot spots in the boiler heat exchanger. Steam bubbles form and collapse.

It can be caused by low pressure induced by the circulating pump and crap/sediment lodging inside the boiler restricting waterways Any additional additives are intended to dislodge and keep this sediment in suspension. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Another solution is to thoroughly wash out the boiler and the pipes/ radiators. Afterward refilling with fresh water and anti corrosion additives. Sometimes the crap cannot even be got out by this method, depends on boiler design and materials.

If the water is properly treated the system can have almost infinite life. Doesn't usually happen. Even more important with today's exotic metals in boilers.

Reply to
harry

Being of a charitable nature:-) I guess they proposed a system flush and re-fill.

I will pass on the suggestion to top up the additive. I suppose the microbore pipework will be more susceptible to sludging than conventional. A quote from an independent plumber for a system flush might be worth pursuing

I'd be surprised if there is any adjustment available on the pump for such an old system.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It used to happen sometimes on my old system if the room stat etc killed the pump while the boiler was firing. A pump over-run which kept it running for a few seconds after the stats were satisfied cured it. But I'd expect a system boiler to have all that sort of thing anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)