Intermittent kettling from heating boiler

Why would a heating boiler make frequent kettling noises lasting a week or two and then they stop completely? Perhaps returning after a couple of months.

Is scale and gunk accumulating in the heat exchanger and then getting blown away by the kettling bubbles?

Reply to
Pamela

Mine did this. Eventually I found the automatic bleed valve atop the boiler was sticking, and I suppose entrapped 'air' was sometimes cleared by the pump, or maybe the valve worked sometimes. Anyway, it's been fine now for a couple of years.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

that would bhe my assumption.

Screwfix sell a "noise reducer" potion which works well on my system

Reply to
charles

I have noticed that in my immersion heater if I give the tank a sharp rap when its doing it, the gunk falls off the element and all is well again for ages. I think, though the water in London is very hard and full of limescale, probably from that huge great concrete ring main we have!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa