Boiler in Loft

I dread the thought of having to replace my combi which is in an airing cupboard and a previous posting has got me thinking about the loft.
What are the rules governing using the loft for a combi? I don't have loads of space as the roof is somewhat like a pyramid so it has lots of struts.
Extending the pipes upwards to the loft would seem easier than altering them to suit a different boiler in a restricted space.
--

Regards

John

Think maintenance, think of your favourite CORGI man grumbling and either refusing to work up there or charging more. But if the access is ok then why not.
Andrew

It's discouraged rather then prohibited, and if you are going to site it there you should* have good lighting, flooring, a barrier to stop your boiler repair man stepping backwards into the trapdoor space, and a proper loft ladder.
* can't remember which of these 'shoulds' are writ in stone and which I've invented, but I'm sure you'd agree they're all commonsense :-)
Depending on whether your house is mid-terrace and/or has a gable end you may have to have the flue go up through the roof. You'll also have to arrange for the pressure relief discharge pipe to get from the boiler location to almost ground level, and if it's a condensing boiler to route the condensate drain soemwhere. However none of these is insuperable.
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Experiments to test the existence of Sod's Law by dropping slices of buttered toast all failed. That's Sod's Law.
Thanks. My existing Worcester Combi has a flue through the roof as it is in the 'middle' of the house. It is not a balanced flue and the airing cupboard location does not quite meet the regs for air intake (tests each year are okay though).
I will take an objective look at the loft. Please continue to add any further comments.
--

Regards

John

"John Stumbles" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:09:25 -0000, "John"

Take a look at the German manufactured boilers such as Vaillant. Many of them have a flue option for operation through the roof because this is very popular in multi-occupancy properties there.
The flue is concentric and draws air in through the outer part and the inner is the outlet so making it room sealed and balanced.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Virtually all makers have this type of flue.

IMM wrote:

A modern combi can have its flue taken through the roof tiles. If it is a condensing combi, it is the best solution. Just get the flue extension and flue tile from a builders merchants. Most combi's have built-in frost protection, so no problems there. Try to have a water isolator cock and electrical isolator switch in the old airing cupboard below. If problems them switch and turn off. Don't forgot to lag with double thickness pipe insulation.