Dread

I am dreading having my combi replaced when it comes to the end of its life (Worcester Heatslave 1988 build).

Why?

The system uses the twin entry Twinfast valves (two pipes into a single valve fitting with coaxial flow and return) on each radiator. Under new regulations I expect I will have to convert the plumbing so that I can have Thermostatic valves fitted.

I don't need thermostatic valves. I have a very good electronic programmable thermostat - I turn off the upstairs radiators as soon as the weather gets a bit mild. I have my downstairs doors open so the house is effectively controlled by the room thermostat.

I think thermostatic valves are sluggish and hit or miss. They are vulnerable to physical damage. They are mis-used as on-off valves.

Do I really have to have them fitted - is there a way around it?

Reply to
John

Sorry - meant MAXITWIN valve

Reply to
John

programmable

You do not need TRVs to meet part L. Though some BCOs only understand this method. But you will need to put in a couple more 2 port valves and programmable controllers to divide the house up into a reasonable number (3?) of zones. TRVs keep the bedrooms warm whenever the heating is on whereas with a proper dual temperature programmable stat you can program them to stay at a certain level during the day then begin warming up in the evening.

Reply to
Mike

The requirement is (provided the property is large enough) to have separate temperature control of living, sleeping and conservatory areas. If you subzone thusly, and can persuade the BCO, this should be enough. Zoning off your bedrooms will spare you the chore of turning the rads off when required. You can have separate temperature and timing set.

However, your dislike of TRVs may not be justified. Modern ones are quiet, reliable and do improve the comfort of the property by regulating temperature much better than one central thermostat. Many types can be locked into position to prevent tampering, if this is your main worry.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you want I believe you can buy inline TRVs.

I think its also legal to fit the boiler yourself if youre competent. NT

Reply to
bigcat