Boiler comes on every few hours during the night

I have a Worcester Greenstar Junior 28i that comes on every few hours during the night which is keeping me awake because it's installed in the bedroom. Is there a way to stop this rather than just having to turn it off during the night? This also turns off the programmable timer which means I have to reset the correct time when i turn it on in the morning.

Reply to
blackhead

Have you got the 'eco' button on (green light showing)? If not it'll run periodically to keep the water in its works hot ready for a hot water demand.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I haven't got the 'eco' button on. I thought u had to press it in for continuous hot water lol. After reading the instruction manual, you are indeed right, thanks.

Reply to
blackhead

Please report back tomorrow whether you had a good night's sleep.

Reply to
Si

Wonder if it has a built in frost sensor or something, and it turns on to make sure the pipework doesn't freeze ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

No doubt some stupid bloody pointy-haired wonk at W-B had the Great Idea that instead of having a button to turn the pre-heat function on they could have Nice Eco-Friendly Green button that turned it off instead.

Never mind that it confuses the actual users.

Reply to
John Stumbles

And the occasional installer. I had to read the manual to find out what the green button was for.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

John, not sure I'd entirely agree with that to be honest.

What about the poor soul that bought the boiler on the basis of 'some store of hot water, always available' but didn't know they would have to switch it on, and then complained?

It's like some cars, on most you switch the A/C on when you want it, on others, the button is to switch it off if you don't. I don't know which one method should be considered correct! I do understand what you mean though, personally I think most devices are far too complicated for the core requirements.

I'm a computer programmer by trade, and have been for far too f***ing long. Today I spent god knows how long trying to work out on a bloody mobile phone, how to text a number from my contacts to someone else in my contacts. IMHO, the fact that it wasn't intuitive, means its wrong. That makes the phone (or its programming anyway) a pile of junk - it doesn't do simple requirements easily.

Imagine having to read the instructions to change to channel 1 on your TV remote... that's where it's going. Actually, a friend of mine returned a video recorder not so long ago on the basis that he couldn't just press record (honestly!, absolutely unbelievable but I looked at it myself and agreed with him!).

Kind Regards Someone

Reply to
somebody

Hallelujah - someone else thinks like me...

I do a little coding myself from time to time, and an unintuitive interface is about the most persistantly annoying thing you could ever foist upon someone.

Example: a copier in work - touch screen, several thousands of pounds worth of kit at a guess, relatively high end Xerox machines.

The drivers are s**te (colour rendition varies from passable to crap depending on what file format you send it in, and you have to manually alter the settings to get something usable, i.e. a PDF might appear in normal colour, but a JPG is muted to the point it looks sepia), and the machine creates permanent random bugs like job lists not displaying correctly, but that's a whole new topic...)

The options for "delete", "release", and "job details" are in a list format on the screen, with the smallest possible button / font you could realistically read. There is no horizontal or vertical spacing betwen the buttons.

The width of the average adults' finger is enough to hit two at the same time - even their own engineers struggle with the damn thing.

The LCD is about 5" * 3" but they chose to put the buttons in a small section about 20mm high, when they had the whole display to choose from.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Absolutely.

I have been unable to locate a DVD player where you insert the disk, and hit play, and it ..plays..wiothout reference to a 'remote'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, had a blissful night's sleep, not once having to turn the thing off whilst half sleep walking.

Reply to
blackhead

The guy who installed this for me supposedly installed loads for other people, but hadn't pressed in the 'eco' button, hence the small bill while the property was vacant which had me scratching my head for a bit. My next door neighbour also had a bolier that came on once every hour or so during the night so this pre-heat by default doesn't seem like a good idea if it's meant to reduce energy consumption.

Reply to
blackhead

Yes, it does which is why I thought it was coming on, but the temperature outside is at 10C.

Reply to
blackhead

My old Merc has air conditioning - it's activated by pushing a button marked "EC".

This did confuse me for a while until I found out that it meant EConomy, and when active there is a red LED lit on the button. So push the button, light the LED and it kills the AC.

Those crazy germans ...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:25:21 -0800 (PST) someone who may be blackhead wrote this:-

It is meant to increase energy consumption, in order to provide hot water more quickly. I suppose it could have been labelled a "turbo" option.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes, but it coming on after 12am at one hour intervals doesn't seem efficient.

Reply to
blackhead

It would also have been useful if they'd made it accessible to control from outside the boiler, for installations where the boiler isn't readily accessible but the householder still wants to control the function and/or for control via a timer.

I just tell the householder what it does and suggest they leave it switched on (i.e. preheat function off )

Reply to
John Stumbles

Better boilers have this feature on a timer.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:31:19 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

Drag a removable disc icon to the wastepaper basket on a Mac. Obviously this will delete everything on the disc, but that's not what happens on the ones I have encountered.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:31:19 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

The "My Computer" and "Desktop" icons in various versions of Windows obviously don't represent one's computer or desktop, though the latter is closer to being true to its name than the former.

Reply to
David Hansen