Boarding out loft space question.

Hi, Having part boarded my loft space using chipboard, I wonder if I have improved or degraded the thermal insulation?

The fibreglass was compressed to allow me to fit the boards over the joists. My brain tells me that chipboard is a better insulator of heat than air......

Your thoughts/opinions are welcomed!

Regards, Eddie

Reply to
Eddie G0EHV

If youhad not compresed it, improved. As you've compressed it, degraded. fibreglass and rockwool are much better insulators than chip.

Compressing puts dwnward force on the plasterboard, which isnt a good idea. Better to peel the excess away.

PS its trapped air that does the insulating, from this all should become clear.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Air is actually a very good insulator, assuming you can get it to stay still! Hence the way the fibreglass works, it traps a layer of air in place.

Much depends on how much you compressed the fibreglass. If you had 5" uncompressed and compressed it down to 4", then chances are you are no worse off than before. If however you reduced 8* to 4" you may have reduced the efficacy.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks to all for replies, now I know!

The fibreglass was 5 inch, compressed down to 3 1/2 inches or so. However the fibreglass was double layer, across as well as between the joists. Looks like I lost a lot of insulation! Regards, Eddie

Reply to
Eddie G0EHV