Loft boarding questions

Hi,

I am looking into boarding out my loft to gain extra space, but do no need to go as far as creating an extra full time liveable room, i probably not going to have a fixed staircase. my problem is tha running across in the opposite direction to the ceiling joists are tw

8"x2" timbers, so do i need to raise the new loft floor to this leve ?? and i have also read in our councils building control guide that new loft floor cannot rest on the ceiling joists so someonre ha suggested i use joist hangers from the 8"x2" timber to create a ne independent floor, any help on this matter and any other tips for m project would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this post

-- Bear

Reply to
Bear

These are (probably) 'Ties' - timber _above_ the ceiling joists ( seemingly not 'supporting' anything) affixed to the joists which are installed to stiffen the ceilings' joists and prevent the ceiling flexing and cracking.

No,

Find a better 'someone' ... :)

Your suggestion is that the weight of this new floor is transferred to .... what? Consider: if you shouldn't 'rest a new floor on the ceiling joists' what load-path will your 'someone's suggestion take?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock