Boarding in Loft

Hello all,

I need to board out the loft a bit better so that we can store way more junk up there. However, the junk up there is getting covered in "gunk" cos the roof is not sarked. I don't want to go to the expense of having it all sarked, so wondered about the alternatives. My first thought was to nail some ply to the roof joists effectively just sealing off the loftsapace, and making it a bit more pleasent to go in. The idea being that the roof and floor will both be boarded and therefore a bit less open to the elements.

Is this a good idea or will rain get in and run down the ply and soak through the ceiling (cos is concentrated into one area)?

cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

I bought some of the sheets of thinnish polystyrene insulation and cut them to fit between the rafters, there's plenty of air flow behind them as I've left big gaps at both ends but it stops it getting as dirty.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Thats a great idea! Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

What ever you do NOT USE NAILS use screws or you will have a roof repair on your hands.

Reply to
keith_765

Well, when I get around to it, I was going to nail/tack up some felt/membrane to the roof joists, leaving plenty of room for ventilation at the ends. Little 1cm tacks should be enough. Don't see them harm in hammering them in - won't need much force to take it. Could also buy myself a staple gun, which would probably be easier.

al

I stapled 1200 gauge polythene sheet inside the rafters, leaving an air gap at the top and bottom. That was in 1981 and it was still working when I sold the house last month.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

eh?

Reply to
bigcat

"nightjar .uk.com>" I stapled 1200 gauge polythene sheet inside the rafters, leaving an air

My only worry about that is condensation build up and therefore run-off. Did you get any?

al

Hi,

'Vapour permeable membrane' is another way to go:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hi

Have a look at this, might solve the problem.

Rob