Board for CU

Should I be mounting a CU on a particular type of board (e.g. fireproof)? If so, are there any suggestions as to where to source (online)?

Thanks, Piers

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I used plywood, albeit that's onto a brick wall.

If the CU is fully enclosed (as all modern ones are) there is no particular requirement that I'm aware off.

Some ancient equipment was open backed hence the requirement.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What is a CU?

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Consumer unit.

The electrical thingy covered in switches

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Consumer Unit?

Reply to
john

Yup.

I used a bit of 18mm MDF , as I had a bit lying about.

Reply to
chris French

OK, ta. I'll choose something that'll fit in with where it's going then.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Check with your DNO if they have any spec regarding size/material, they can be right fussy bar keepers. Also bear in mind that your DNO's responsibilty stops at the output of the cutout and the earth terminal.

The tails from the cutout to meters and meters themselves are your suppliers (ie the company you pay for power) responsibilty. At least it is in Electricity North Wests (old NORWEB) patch.

Found this out earlier in the week when asking about a meter move. Thought it would be simple for them not to bother moving one of the meters but no they aren't allowed to do that they have to shift everything and then the supplier brings someone else in to do the meter disconnection.

Then of course actually getting some one to come out look and advise about what is permissible/practical is next to impossible. They do all their quotes from plans, only sending someone out "when they really have to". Of course this means that when the engineer comes to do the move he finds what the quote says and what the work actually entails are different and goes away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was a question about the CU, not about the cutout or meter:-)

Tim Watts correctly answered the OPs question yesterday.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And DNO was in last Friday anyway replacing the meter (presumably contracted by supplier to do the job). Didn't comment on any of my existing installation :-). Now I just need to find a dongle to read the flashing 1Wh flash and feed it into a computer so I can track my power usage.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I now have smart meters fitted for gas & leccy, anyone have any experience of reading them over Wireless M-Bus? I found what appears to be a suitable reciever, £13 in module format but £50 in USB dongle format, not sure what software is out there ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

From a post a few years ago

ARWadsworth

I'm looking to do this too, having just had a meter change. I'll probably simply read the visible LED. The other one is a bi-directional IR data stream, but it's much more complicated to interface to, and commercial interfaces are very expensive.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel