blocking off chimney flues

We're thinking of removing the chimney breast from a downstairs room? Found out lots about proper support for the remains of the stack through upstairs to the roof etc., but nothing about what to do with the bottom of the exposed end of the flue.

If we just blocked the bottom would that lead to a build up of rainwater casuing possible leakage later?

Should we cap both ends?

All thoughts appreciated

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Both ends need to remain ventilated. If it's on an outside wall, use an airbrick into the bottom from the outside and seal from the inside of the house, so it doesn't steal heat from you. If you cap off at the top, again, you must provide ventilation there. Ventilation is much more important than keeping out the rain, so you could leave the top alone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel